• Ultraviolet Photography
  •  

Zion National Park

2 replies to this topic

#1 OlDoinyo

• Members(+)
  • 670 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 19:00

The sandstone cliffs and canyons of Zion National Park have attracted generations of photographers, but relatively little UV photography. A couple of weeks ago, I tried to redress this situation just a little bit during a whirlwind trip out there from Colorado. A few results are posted below. Except as otherwise specified, pictures were obtained with the Sony A900 fitted with the Steinheil 50mm lens set at f/16 and the Baader U2 filter. Display intent is BGR.

"Checkerboard Mesa:"
Attached Image: Checkerboard Mesa j small ex DSC00067.jpg

"Inside Eastern Entrance:"
Attached Image: Inside Eastern Entrance j small ex DSC00070.jpg

"The Three Patriarchs (Asahi 35mm:)"
Attached Image: The Three Patriarchs j small ex DSC00063.jpg

"Waterfall at the Temple of Sinawava:"
Attached Image: Waterfall at Temple of Sinawava j small ex DSC00044.jpgAttached Image: Waterfall at Temple of Sinawava j  small ex DSC00054.jpg
(I was intrigued by how the light caught the upper half of the waterfall in the second shot.)

"View Up from Weeping Rock (Asahi 20mm, U360/S8612):"
Attached Image: View Up from Weeping Rock j small ex DSC00061.jpg
(The landmark known as the Great White Throne appears on the skyline. It does not look especially white in UV.)

"Kolob Canyons (Asahi 35mm:)"
Attached Image: Kolob Canyons j small ex DSC00026.jpg
(This view is from outside the main Zion Canyon area, and many visitors do not end up seeing it.)

I considered working these photos up as tinted monochromes, but decided in the end that the faint chromaticity was just enough to be intriguing---at times, it reminds me of old hand-colored photos from a century or so ago. The other option remains a possibility.

#2 Andy Broomé

Invisible Light Enthusiast

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 21:25

Some superb shots! I like the "Inside Eastern Entrance" one the most. Are the road markings bright yellow in the visible spectrum?

#3 DonPilou

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 15:29

I really like this foggy render, well frame too!