UltravioletPhotography

"We will paint them red..." (с)

Here is some test I did.

This is a photo of a gradient - light from one incandescent bulb, the photo through a diffraction grating of 1000 lines.

This shows what I meant:

If only the IR Block CЗC24 is changed in the Eka's stack, it changes in blue-bluish-green, but yes, quite a bit .. very-very little.

I forgot to make a sample without IR block at all. So it will be later.

There is no difference in colors, between 12 and 6 mm total thickness of Eka's stack.

The CЗC25 shows a lot more 'red' IR on the gradient, so maybe need to try it for leaves.

Also, I put a gradient of Tiffen12, for comparison,

and repeat of this gradient, after processing with the replacement of channels, as for aerochrome.

So it can be seen, as red turned to 'yellow' and IR - to burgundy-red.

For BG410 and Eka's stack, there is no any red to 'yellow' transition - no any visible red at all.

White balance on the gray point, in the Olympus viewer, on the white paper background, all equally.

post-242-0-12643800-1556875746.jpg

Eka,

what if for this stack using kind of CSC25 instead of CSC24? It is too much probably, but if, may be only as a try.

Or maybe, if add more thickness for CSC24.

I would like to try something.

I made an order to buy СЗС25 и СЗС26, but I don't have time to take them yet.

Evgeniya, your tests above are excellent! and very perfectly and beautifully done))

And I also can't find to buy ЖЗС10 for the tests

____

dabateman, my most favorite gray card is the asphalt on the roadway :) it is the correct gray color in comparison with the asphalt on the sidewalks. and besides, it is always at hand under feet :D

____

and I did a test video with the red trees :)

scarlet red twilight. video

https://flic.kr/p/TCsCvC

but I forgot to make the white balance on the grey card in the twilight. white balance remained the same as in the sun

Andy Perrin

Evgeniya, what was the processing for aerochrome in that test? Is it just channel switch or also subtracting?

My aerochrome process is

Rnew= B

Gnew = R-B

Bnew= G-B

Evgeniya is using the Photoshop action by H.H. 1978 on Flickr (Old name was H.H. Pictures).

H.H. does some of the best digital EIR I have seen. I don't see his Photoshop action posted now, but you might ask him for it, he may have even improved it.

Digital EIR

Andy,

yes, for Tiffen 12, I used data H.H.'s PS action.

Author published the recipe, and I received this link and all data from Cadmium.

I used it for processing all of my photos with the Tiffen 12 filter.

Eka,

Thanks. I really enjoyed your video!

I tried the combination with the CЗC25 today, and I must say it is not so good.

With any white balance for camera, too much turquoise for white. I cannot overcome it.

If the balance on raw, on a gray point, maybe not so bad.

I used 6 mm total thickness and it is pretty dark. Also yellowish color for the leaves sometimes.

Well, as an experiment. But I think CЗC24 is better.

Using the H.H. Photoshop EIR cation, the only two things I change are:

1) Contrast, only sometimes.

2) Hue, usually I change that to +20, because that usually adjusts the red where I like it, but that would change depending on which filter is used.

Here are some examples of testing СЗС 25 instead of СЗС 24, for Eka stack. I did the white balance in the Olympus Viewer, on the gray point.

A lot of yellowish color on the leaves, in the bright sun. The sky is too bright turquoise, much brighter than with СЗС24, and does not look better to me.

post-242-0-81640200-1557038190.jpg

On the left - what I get for any balance from the camera. The white color is dark turquoise. The

red color is very dark.

On the right - the white balance in the Olympus Viewer on the raw, on the gray point, somewhere on the dog.

post-242-0-80231600-1557038656.jpg

Evgeniya, thank you!!

And thanks also for the checking СЗС25. The photos are beautiful! But, yes, the color is further away from the desired red hue. But I really like the resulting warm colors, beautiful and deep. it is a pity that the sky is not blue... maybe I'll buy СЗС25 anyway. I really liked the shades of vegetation. even if they do not look like the desired :)

This is another comparison:

1 - without the filter IR block,

only СЗС20 + ЖЗС5. I was surprised about the photo without.. This is so far from Scuba Blue filter only :-(

I think everything is correct, but I just had the impression and did not expect this result.

2- СЗС20 + ЖЗС5 + СЗС24.

3- СЗС20 + ЖЗС5 + СЗС25.

The white balance in the Olympus Viewer on the raw, on the gray point, equally.

Cadmium,

I used few changes and for the channel changes for the H.H.'s PS action..

Not too much, I saved the all original ratio, just made a few changes, as I like it.

post-242-0-08104600-1557042444.jpg

I think the H.H. action reverts to the original each time it is loaded, unless you save a new version...?

At least that is how it works for me.

For those reading all this, the H.H. action is for Tiffen #12 and other longpass filter shots, not to be used for '729' shots, which are a whole different thing, no post processing for 729, straight out of cam.

Great dog model! :)

Evgeniya, I wonder why the trees are red in my pictures and yours are closer to orange. I don't understand.

and my сзс20+ЖЗС5 looked different

If to forget about the simulation of the infrared film, I like more the colors with сзс25 than with сзс24 :)

yes :) But I've tested it separately only so far. I need to buy another СЗС24. I do not want to disassemble my filter of three glasses, it is assembled well, hard

Eka,

I do not know why there is a difference. In this case, I get this color, from raw, from the white balance on the gray point in Olympus Viewer 3 (2.2 version). This is Camera Olympus e-m5.

Edit-> Raw-> Gray zone definition. This result is stable.

The result of red color on the gradient on the grating, and on the leaves, looks the same to me.

So I need to try again. I will try to change the balance, only for the camera in the next test. Maybe I need asphalt :-)

Cadmium,

Yeah, I did the same data manually, without action.

This is what happens:

1 - From the camera, raw Tiffen 12.

2 - I applied the original action for post-processing of H.H., with no any change.

3 - I do it, how I would like to see it. But I just changed a little. This is basically the same 'action'.

I would like such a result without replacing channels, from the camera.

Ideally, I would like to make it close to the samples of this author:

https://www.lomograp...odak-aerochrome

(This is the original film of Aerochrome). But I cannot do 'red' like this yet.

post-242-0-77223900-1557126145.jpg

The Tiffen 12 gives too much glare in the red on the lights, for me. The ЖC18 and OC11 the same, identically.

So I hope to continue the experiment with Eka's stack or Scuba Blue.

post-242-0-70943800-1557126497.jpg

I tried with ЖС18 - did not like. very monotonous. I tried with ЖС18+СЗС24 - liked. a variety of shades in the vegetation. processing - i do not remember, something was in photoshop, I will study to repeat it. WB by prog from the asphalt.

It's just a quick test out the window. sorry for the picture quality

post-237-0-83163500-1557127116.jpg

Evgeniya, is your ЖЗС5 exactly ЖЗС5? I'm asking about your picture in the message #62.

So I disassembled ЖЗС5+СЗС20+СЗС24. I had to take it apart to checking. My ЖЗС5+СЗС20 gave such a picture with balance white from asphalt. The test image with Lee filter is in the corner for comparison. It seems to me that it is quite similar

post-237-0-25437400-1557418508.jpg

another stack of filters ЖЗС9+СЗС20+СЗС24.

the sky is near blue, the trees are without orange tint. WB asphalt

post-237-0-41171300-1557427543.jpg

I will choose #729+СЗС24 in sunny weather. it is great. But in cloudy weather i prefer my ЖЗС5+СЗС20+СЗС24

WB from grey card for each filters

post-237-0-40281200-1557649902.jpg

post-237-0-82520600-1557649922.jpg