UltravioletPhotography

"We will paint them red..." (с)

Imitation Aerochrome IR

it is a pity that the Alice approach does not fit here smile.png

Three filters at once is not very good.. but there were three. thickness 3mm+3mm+3mm. I know it's too much.

[Editor's Note]

сине-зеленые стекла = blue-green glasses (filters).

желто-зеленые стекла = yellow-green glasses (filters).

The "C" in the filter designation indicates "blue".

The "Ж" indicates "yellow".

Bидимая = Visible.

ультрафиолетовая = Ultraviolet.

инфракрасная = Infrared.

[/Note]

СЗС20, СЗС24, ЖЗС5

post-237-0-88867800-1555364383.jpg

Live View shot

post-237-0-15942100-1555364511.jpg

The snow of April

post-237-0-14821200-1555364635.jpg

post-237-0-12390800-1555365127.jpg

Indeed impressive! You have created a stack that simulates the plot of the 729 + KG3.

The СЗС20 + ЖЗС5 creates a transmission curve like the #729 filter, and the addition of the СЗС24 creates the #729 + KG3 stack (СЗС24 3mm and KG3 2mm have almost identical transmission).

Very well done!

post-87-0-31909700-1555395460.jpg

post-87-0-52210000-1555395986.jpg

Thank you very much! I am glad you like it! :)

.. I have some doubts about that..

1. the sun was through a haze. I have a feeling that when the sun will very bright, there will be too much infrared. Therefore I'm looking for a little more dense IR-cut-off filter for testing

2. the sky is not blue, it is a little turquoise. Seems that insufficient blue passes through the filters

P.S. There is the bright sun today. I'm going to test it

Thank you for the graphs analyses.

I wonder if maybe ЖЗС10 would be better, but I haven't found it yet. It is slightly "more blue" than ЖЗС5

Evgeniya, thanks a lot!! :)

but it seems that it is good only without the bright sun. I have tested it right now

Do you have ЖЗС10? I have not it, I couldn't test. Suddenly it will better. maybe not..

The bright sun

seems excessive amount of infrared pass through the filters. the color of the plants became more light and with warm tone than it was in a cloudy weather or haze

although it is possible just very little grass and leaves. and it will be OK in the summer. I don't know

post-237-0-22540600-1555412614.jpg

post-237-0-90884100-1555412629.jpg

but I like the resulting color of dog hair, dry grass and mostly the color of the tree trunks

post-237-0-09362800-1555412647.jpg

I like the variations of red, pink and orange, that you're getting with this stack. Ever since the Kolarivision IR Chrome filter was announced last month, I've been surprised at how many ways there are to replicate the same transmission, using alternate filter stacks. The cyan sky is much the same results as the Scuba Blue and IR Chrome filter.

Thanks for the comment!!) I like this red but don't really like orange. and i would like get more cold tone of red but I don't understand how to achieve it.

And I look forward to the summer to take such pictures and i am waiting for the parcel with 729 and 116 filters and probably waiting when IR Chrome filter will appear on sale...

and maybe I'll try with some yellow and orange filters, too

i like red trees :)

There are processing apps which could retone the orange. If you give me permission, I can download one of your photos and show you?

Good experiment with the filter stacking. Even though a 9mm thick stack is a bit too thick for easy use, the point is made that such a combination works for an Aerochrome emulation. Perhaps you will eventually find thinner filters to stack? :)

P.S. Eka, using your first post I took the liberty of giving myself a review of three important terms to UVP as written in Russian. :lol:

Bидимая = Visible.

Ультрафиолетовая = Ultraviolet.

Инфракрасная = Infrared.

(Note:

The feminine form of the three adjectives is shown on the charts.

This might be from a reference to spectral "range" = "диапазона" which ends in 'a' ?

)

Ультрафиолетовая in Russian sounds very much like it does in English.

ool tra fio leto vaya

Andrea, thank you!! :)

I can do processing but I wanted to do pictures - like on a film - by the filters only :D

I would be very,very interested to see at your processing result in the application. Please... if it's not too much trouble. It is very interesting for me

Yes, 9mm glass is too thick) large and heavy

Thanks for clarifying the terms. I didn't think to write it myself, sorry..

The feminine form of the three adjectives... Maybe it is about a zone {область, зона} of the entire spectrum. They're feminine form. The range {диапазон} is not feminine form, so it's definitely not a range :)

I like the snow + smoke pic, that is quite nice.

The whole point here is SOOC, no processing. I wouldn't get into processing with this right now, keep it SOOC for now, and concentrate on the custom in camera white balance mostly.

Better to know how it looks SOOC for now I think

When you get the 729 then you can try that the same way also.

The main functional difference I see between your stack and the 729+KG3 stack is your stack transmits more of the upper 550-600nm range.

The #72 cuts at about 560nm, СЗС20 cuts at about 600nm.

The difference may make your stack look a little more orange than red compared to the 729+KG3 stack.

You can find out when you get the 729 you ordered. Stack it with your same СЗС24 and compare the foliage to see which stack looks more red than orange.

By the way, how are you white balancing these?

You can try ЖЗС10 instead of ЖЗС5, it will provide more blue, and I don't see it changing anything else in the plot, however, the stack using ЖЗС5 looks closer to the 729+KG3 stack.

Give it a try for comparison though.

Here is the first test. I collected glass in such a stack, according to this recipe, СЗС20 + СЗС24 + ЖЗС5.

I hope I did not confuse anything.

It is just the pieces of glass, with tape, for a quick test.

D7100, lens Kyoei 35 3.5, afternoon. No leaves yet, only trees.

This result for thickness of left version 6 mm (2+2+2), and 9 mm (3+3+3), right version.

The same as a live view, no post-processing.

post-242-0-09627600-1555482161.jpg

OK, thanks! :) I will try it. only i need to get the gray card first

I tried with custom WB from white PTFE. and white houses, gray stones and asphalt became pink shade. not like

I have not used in camera custom white balance for many years, because my Nikon cameras will not custom white balance with any filters outside of the visual range.

I found that white balancing from RAW using CNX2 or NX-D (and Photo Ninja) is the best way to get the best white balance.

However, this filter stack has a foot in the visual range, and I found that the white balance results were much better using the in camera method for the first time in years.

So try it that way, see what you get.

Let me see if I can remember the procedure for Nikon:

1) use optical view finder, not live view.

2) focus on your gray card (or white card), close up, fill the frame with the card.

3) press WB button on the left back side of camera.

4) in viewfinder, "Pre" flashes...

5) shoot picture of gray card.

6) you will see either "Good" or "No Gd" in viewfinder.

"Good" means you have made a custom white balance using that filter and the gray card.

For landscapes, shoot the card in strong light, direct sun or whatever is out in the open and best illuminated.

Try that. Don't white balance from RAW for this, In camera is working best for me for the first time with this filter stack.