UltravioletPhotography

Antique teapot glass handle

I've had this antique teapot for a while, and wondered about the yellow-green glass handle. After setting it up with the Convoy, it would appear the the handle could be Uranium glass. The J. H. Hopkins & Sons stamp on the bottom places a 1850-ish manufacture date on the teapot, but I'm not sure if they even made Uranium glass back then.

post-189-0-68465400-1553190520.jpg

Olympus E-M1(non-converted) + Convoy S2+ Nichia w/U-340

El-Nikkor 75mm f11, 30s, iso 100

post-189-0-29771200-1553190527.jpg

oh wow! That really does fluoresce. Quite amazing. It almost looks like it is "red hot" except for being green. :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is a really nice find.

Long time past we had some posts about glass here. Try a search.

Wikip: The use of uranium glass dates back to at least 79 AD.

Thanks for the link Andrea.

Really interesting stuff!

Not sure if need a Geiger Counter, but no way I'm drinking tea out of that thing!

That looks really cool. I didn't know of Uranium glass. I wouldn't worry about it. It would be 238U and would need enrichment to do much or conversion to plutonium to really be dangerous.

Also from what I just read, they mostly used up to 2% by weight. But you can sometimes find upto 25%. However, since yours is not glowing by the window from natural uv light leaking in, unless you have new tripple pane windows, I think you have a small amount of 238U there.

That said I would worry more about that old metal. Various anaerobic bacteria may be hidden in any dirty, long unclean areas. That I think would be the biggest risk.