UltravioletPhotography

A small river: underwater infrared

All of them are quite interesting.

I like #2 for its dreamlike style and the last one for the view of two different worlds.

The self-portrait is the icing on the underwater IR cake :D

So good to see Potamogeton crispus prominently displayed (first image). That genus must be my best "friends" over all those years.

My guess is the water itself is heavily influenced by humic matter and thus has a brownish colour. That would explain the presence of adequate IR under the water surface.

Very cool.

Your first photo at the top is my favorite,

however, given the colors it can not be a B+W 093 filter, which is 830nm (made of Schott RG830 glass), equivalent to Hoya IR-83.

You would need to use a much lower nm longpass filter to get that much color.

830nm is for all intents and purposes black and white, almost completely monochrome, the next best thing to 850nm, they are so close together that it is practically impossible to tell the difference.

So your top shot is maybe something in the 600-700nm range, 'maybe' 720nm at the highest, I would guess.

Maybe it is a B+W 092, 091, etc.?

Never the less, the photo is exquisite and quite pleasing.

post-87-0-22465200-1552549252.jpg

Andy Perrin Thanks a lot! :D

Cadmium I thank you for your kind words!!

Oh, I wrote the wrong thing. Undoubtedly. Thank you very much for correcting! My bad. It's a typo :huh:

I have filter B+W 093 too - for lens - for black and white IR photos. And the glass B+W 092 is inside the camera.

I'll edit. Thank you!! :)

If memory serves, the O-92 is not even close to the common R-72 although they are often considered equivalents. O-92 lets through a lot of deep red.

When I did spectral measurements on inland waters in Norway (in my former life as an aquatic scientist), I observed very humic rivers to have their maximum transmittance around 740 nm.

Actually, B+W 092 (RG695) is 695nm and is fairly close to 720nm, the next longpass filter down from the common 720nm filter, unless you consider 715nm or RG9 (RG9 being 720, but with a different profile).

B+W 092, R72, RG715 and even RG9 all look the same, they all function as 720nm longpass filters.

Anything above that may have some slight hint of color, but would be considered more monochrome than false color.

These are all very interesting.

I for some reason like the 50:50 shots. In and out of water. I never tried it, but I remembered people doing that with a bare E3 in fresh water. Always cool to see.

My E3 has slight seperation on the rear screen, so I wouldn't dare.

If you have an E420, looks like you have been with Olympus for a while.

I like your imagination in your photography, refreshing.

Birna, yes! It is Dicapac WP-S10. it's not very good, but it does its job

dabateman, the freshly released Oly e420 was my first camera :D And I immediately had converted it for IR

Do you have a photo of the underwater box you use? I would like to see what it looks like, and even what brand/model, and where you got it?

Thank you. :-)

Oh yeah, "google is your friend", right.

I did that,

but asking someone what they used can also be useful, thus my question.

By the way, I would call that a bag, not a box.

Is that What you used, Eka? The bag?

I found the pictures :D

a lot of fun. a swamp and a wetsuit. I just bought it and tested. The photos were not taken then because after the rains the water was very muddy. I didn't use that wetsuit except that time. but I have big plans for this outfit at the summer.

And I had taken those photos above without a wetsuit. This the river is though cold, but very small and a wetsuit is not needed

post-237-0-77257400-1552637873.jpg

post-237-0-87165000-1552637887.jpg

And even flippers, too :blink: Just kidding, I don't have them)))

Oh yeah !!! :D Jacques Cousteau are my hero since my childhood and forever

This small, very small river is located in the Vladimir region near Moscow

Eka, those underwater IR photographs ROCK !! Love them totally !!

Thank you so much for posting something new and different for us all to enjoy.

Now I think I should get my underwater Nikon AW camera converted to full spectrum or to IR.

Andrea, thank you very much!! :) I'm very glad you like it.

Yes, it is very interesting to shoot the underwater infrared life.

My plan for this summer is underwater ultraviolet photography. I don't know what the results will be, but I'm looking forward to it :D