UltravioletPhotography

Lee Blue filter test to get the Aerochrome Red in camera

dabateman

Either Lee or Rosco brand Scuba Blue #729 polyester film filters are available on eBay for about $7 a sheet.

KG3 or KG1 (KG1 = CC2) are available on eBay, more expensive, usually found as 50mm squares for about ~$25~.

The Chinese KG3 equivalent is GRB3. Very cheap and I am waiting for mine in the mail. When it arrives, I will let you know if I get similar colors to what Cadmium has posted.
David, You should be able to get similar colors with no KG, just the 729. There isn't much difference with the ones David Twede did.

It's interesting!

And I'm probably going to try it with russian glass СЗС3 or СЗС9 or maybe even СЗС8. I don't know...

to me they are easier to get :)

post-237-0-51630200-1554367842.jpg

Those will not work. They don't transmit IR in the 700nm + range.

Those will look something like the second photo test in the post above:

http://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/3179-lee-blue-filter-test-to-get-the-aerochrome-red-in-camera/page__view__findpost__p__26634

You will only get mostly green and blue.

Here is a wider graph of #729. This is the graph you will find in the swatch book, their online graphs don't show transmission above 700nm.

You need IR also to make it work, that is where the red comes from.

It is a green peaking visual filter, it suppresses visual red completely, and it transmits IR started at about 725nm.

post-87-0-55374200-1554368532.jpg

No Problem. I wish the Lee and Rosco polyester film filters had transmission graphs that go much higher than just 800nm even.

They do go down to 300nm though, which is nice.

I think these filters are intended usually for lighting, so visual range.

Ulf said he might be doing some spectrometer graphs of some of these sometime. That would give more info on their transmission.

I tried with two blue Tiffen filters and a yellow-green ЖЗС9 filter together. It seems to work out nearly similar. But there is little greenery. Not very clear. so I could be wrong. it's not very spring here. yet

You need a filter that suppresses red, entirely. The 729 suppresses 560nm to 725nm completely.

There are other filters that suppress red partly.

Get a piece of 729, it's very inexpensive, then you can compare.

Here is an eBay listing that will ship to Russia: 302519643628

With shipping it will cost you under $30, most of which is shipping.

Maybe you can find Scuba Blue #729 in Russia, I don't know.

Try this place. Lee's site says it is a Lee dealer.

http://www.leefilters.com/dealer-camera.html

Who knows what they might have available:

FotoFrame LLC

5 Donskoy Proezd, Building 15, Stroenie 3, 119334 Moscow

Russia

Phone: +7 (495) 234 9915

Email: photo@photosale.ru

Street view... see little door (with steps and ramp?). Watch out for cell phone antennas on roof.

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.7084678,37.5994674,3a,69.8y,167.76h,97.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxiwY8JI4gMJBwkVRy6UFCw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Cadmium, thank you! :)

There are a lot of Lee filters in this store but only not 729. There is 729 in another site, but there they sell only huge roll :wacko:

I'll buy it on Ebay. and until i'm playing with those filters that I have there is)

Eka,

If you have a Lee dealer in Russia, see if you can get a swatch book to test with. The filters in it have a usable area of 38mm x 73mm. Much easier to handle and will cover M43rds lenses, especially the 14-42mm R2 Olympus. That lens seems to wor great for some UV and IR.

You could also try some Lee Medium Blue #116. It has a little higher 500nm peak amplitude. I have some here, but have not tried it yet, waiting for weather.

David Twede used it also.

My guess is it would be a trade off between exposure time and red saturation, just a guess. #116 would require less exposure time than #729, but the exact color quality remains to be seen,

I have seen no examples of that yet. If you want, I can even send you a small piece of each, just shipping($??), I have plenty, the sheets are larger than I can think of using.

I'll find those filters over time. Thank you!!)

I couldn't wait for the grass and leaves for the tests. just buds and sprouts only. :) Is it okay if I post the result here? It's not Lee

Oly em5FS

vis* - conditionally visible on FS-camera with IR-cut СЗС23

b+b+yg = blue Tiffen 80A + blue Tiffen 80B + yellow-green ЖЗС9

b+b+yg+СЗС7 = blue Tiffen 80A + blue Tiffen 80B + yellow-green ЖЗС9 + weak IR-cut СЗС7

b+b+yg+СЗС24 = blue Tiffen 80A + blue Tiffen 80B + yellow-green ЖЗС9 + weak IR-cut СЗС24

it's not smart to use so many filters at once i know, but I have them here and now, that's the reason to use them. just interesting, curiosity ...

post-237-0-84995700-1554621292.jpg

I have only graphs of glass СЗС and ЖЗС separately. no more. But the color of the three filters {blue Tiffen 80A + blue Tiffen 80B + yellow-green ЖЗС9} is very similar to the color of scuba blue Lee

I'm just looking for options. Perhaps results will seem better when will leaves and grass. i don't know. Something stops me from buying gel filters so far, maybe greed, maybe I just want glass. But I'll buy a gel filter if nothing else works.

I have tried with yellow filters instead of yellow-green one . Seems that it closer to the that need. But with pictures I will wait of leaves

We have seen the Hoya X1 purple foliage filter shots. They are much different than the 729 look, the red is not fully suppressed.

I disagree, even your other stacked shots are not 'very similar' to 729. Not even close to the same.

I didn't invent this 729 thing. David Twede did, I think, but I have seen nothing that works this good so far.

or maybe the medium blue #116 version which I have not yet tried, but David said works also.

Sorry to disagree, but that is my honest opinion.

Cadmium, I see that. Ok

And I certainly appreciate your opinion and help

Sorry to disagree, but that is my honest opinion.

We are here to do not stroke the sense of self-importance and we here to look for truth and beauty is not it? search - errors - truth

sorry for my English :)

Let's look at the graphs for the blue Tiffen 80A + blue Tiffen 80B + yellow-green ЖЗС9 + weak IR-cut СЗС24 stack.

80A and 80B filters.

I am guessing you are using these to try to suppress the visual red more than the ЖЗС9 does alone?

However, this also suppresses the IR range, and the IR is needed to make the red.

Given the minimal low range IR transmission of the ЖЗС9 filter, and the gradual suppression of higher IR by the СЗС24 filter, all of these filters combined are reducing IR drastically.

post-87-0-54322500-1554688654.jpg

ЖЗС9 (equivalent to the Hoya X1 green filter).

I have three comments about this filter.

1) It peaks at about 540nm, rather than 500nm like the 729 does.

2) It does not suppress visual red completely, a maximum red suppression to only 20%, and not until 700nm. Compare that to the 729 filter which suppresses visual red to 0% entirely from 560nm to 720nm.

3) It suppresses more IR than 729, reaching only 15% at 800nm, compared to 30% at 800nm for 729.

post-87-0-41918200-1554688841.jpg

post-87-0-30514700-1554688858.jpg

post-87-0-70130900-1554689338.jpg

СЗС24 weak IR cut.

This appears to be a fairly close equivalent to KG3 2mm.

post-87-0-78678800-1554688935.jpg

post-87-0-81413300-1554689593.jpg

Eka, what are your camera setting for that stack? Exposure, ISO, aperture, etc.? Looks a little dark.

Did you do any post processing to that photo? Or is it SOOC? Did you white balance it in camera, or from RAW?