UltravioletPhotography

Lee Blue filter test to get the Aerochrome Red in camera

dabateman

That last one looks great for a SOOC emulation. Should be interesting to play around with when everything is in full bloom.

If you look off to the far right, you will see some daffodils in bloom, yellow stays yellow, red stays red, as expected with this type of EIR/Aerochrome simulation.

Doesn't bother me, this works for me.

However, I think probably the best emulation of EIR/Aerochrome is the process you are using. I use the H.H. Photoshop action, same idea, but maybe yours is better.

But this SOOC filter stack is really fun and nice to use.

Thank you. :)

I am all out of red paint now though.

https://pbs.twimg.co...dVU_400x400.jpg

They supply the International Orange paint for the Golden Gate Bridge also! :D

That bucket would be crazy. Looks larger than the moon. Once all the paint is out you could populate the sides. The gravity on the oceans would really cause issues. Not withstanding the paint on the oceans.

Cadmium, were you earlier saying all I would need to do is a custom WB using a BG3 like filter and I would get incamera goldie like IR images? I don't have a Bg3, but I do have similar filters. I will have to try that.

Also on ebay I mostly see GRB3 glass, Chinese equivalent to Kg3. Even the one you link to says its from china. With the word similar to in the description. Did you test this glass or genuine from Scott Kg3?

Well, first of all I don't know which filter is "Goldie", is that 590nm swapped? I have heard the term for many years, but was confused if it was 590nm or possibly 665nm?

Regardless, the closest non-swapped filter that I can think of might be BG3.

LifePixel has what they call 'Supper Blue', which many people came to agree was BG3.

There are other blue glass filters that I have seen used to do the same look, basically very strong yellow foliage and very strong blue sky.

47, 47A, 47B... all slightly different, but may work close to the same idea.

There may be many other dual profile (dual band) filters or stacks that would take you closer to the Goldie look you have in mind.

It becomes a situation similar to the B-410 which is close to red, but more orange for me, but then I have not white balanced that filter in camera so far,

I may find that it will white balance in my Nikon camera (like the 729 stack does), and it may look redder than it does when I use software to WB it from RAW.

I am not familiar with RGB3 glass.

I am using Schott KG3 2mm. I didn't notice that the eBay link I posted was Schott or from China, just that it said KG3, sorry. Let me take a look again now.

Here you go, how does this one look, I am pretty sure this one is Schott KG3. 50mm x 50mm x 2mm it looks like, they have a few of them.

Well, first of all I don't know which filter is "Goldie", is that 590nm swapped? I have heard the term for many years, but was confused if it was 590nm or possibly 665nm?

I learned the about the Goldie term when exploring possible methods and filters for IR-photography.

I have only seen 590nm swapped for that style.

Just as EIR filtering is IR + (VIS - Blue)

Goldie filtering is IR + Red

Yes,

Sorry I wasn't more clear. The 590nm or using either a #24 or #25 filter and channel swapping to get the golden foliage look. Called a goldie filter.

I have the #47, bg12, b370 filters. I will have to see if that WB to a similar image.

From Andrea's K5 filter test series I remembered the Bge being really yellow and not too much golden. But I will have to try and see what I can get. The lee swatch book has pretty much every blue you can imagine.

OK, Goldie = 590nm swapped then. Good.

By "EIR filtering" do you mean pre ordered 'IR Chrome', or #729+KG3 2mm, or both? ;)

Anything in the 600nm to 700nm range of longpass filters would be IR+Red, right?

OK, Goldie = 590nm swapped then. Good.

By "EIR filtering" do you mean pre ordered 'IR Chrome', or #729+KG3 2mm, or both? ;)

Anything in the 600nm to 700nm range of longpass filters would be IR+Red, right?

My statements about EIR filtering and Goldie filtering were intended as very generalised descriptions.

The EIR filtering was for the real analog film.

Kodak recommended the Tiffen 12 filter for their film => no Blue.

It would also would work for a proper digital simulation with the Tiifen12 action.

It is likely that Schott OG530 and OG550 and Nikon O56 will work well too, instead of Tiffen 12.

Sorry Cadmium,

But your chain made me smile. Yes I was referring to the Pentax k5 camera filter series tests with the Bg3. I mostly type on my phone and e is below the 3. Sometimes, I miss the numbers and hit the letters.

Qwertyuio

David

Lower lighting conditions are more of a challenge for the 729 filter.

These are SOOC, and I didn't make a new custom white balance, I am using the same CWB I made for the sunny outdoor shots.

Outside, overcast and rain. You can't see the rain in this pic, but the 'mistiness' is the rain.

Here I used ISO 400, f/11, Exposure was 1/25s (hand held).

post-87-0-10685000-1553300775.jpg

Grocery store produce. Guess which lighting contains infrared? ;)

Here I used ISO 1600, f/11, 1/5s (hand held).

post-87-0-98120300-1553300794.jpg

I expect to receive the samples stack of Lee filters within a few weeks.

I plan to measure the transmission of some selected filters, maybe eventually all of them.

I have not yet any preference for what to begin with and am open to suggestions where to start.

I will naturally publish the results here.

Which one did you get? I have the 'Numeric' one.

The graphs they have online show 400nm to 700nm,

The paper graphs with the swatches show 250nm to 800nm.

Which one did you get? I have the 'Numeric' one.

The graphs they have online show 400nm to 700nm,

The paper graphs with the swatches show 250nm to 800nm.

I don't know what I will get.

I just mentioned that it would nice to have a sample stack when I ordered the Scuba, Blue and the said they will add a sample stack to the shipment..

Let's hope it will be a good one.

I expect to receive the samples stack of Lee filters within a few weeks.

I plan to measure the transmission of some selected filters, maybe eventually all of them.

My numerical and designer's edition swatch books look to have about 350 filters in them. So it may take you some time to spec all of them. But a couple are opaque, like the small reflector samples, so you probably should try to spec those.

I hope your not getting sick and tired of me and my #729 filter...

I got thinking about the little red shed and the red barn. They are visually red objects, yet the 729 filter suppresses visual red.

David Twede pointed out to me that the red paint has titanium in it which reflects IR, so the visually red shed is red in these pics because of reflected IR.

Somehow this was just a little hard for me to believe. So I tested that by stacking the 729 + KG3 2mm with S8612 2mm to suppress all IR.

See what I got below with all IR removed? Voilà, a black shed. :)

Lee Scuba Blue #729 + KG3 2mm, in camera CWB from gray card, sun with haze.

post-87-0-60697400-1553803039.jpg

Lee Scuba Blue #729 + KG3 2mm + S8612 2mm. This removes all IR, so the shed, barn, and tail lights are all black.

post-87-0-71710400-1553803046.jpg

Here is BG25 2mm + KG3 2mm, using same CWB as the above shots because with my Nikon the BG25 stack is too dark to make a CWB with.

post-87-0-31849300-1553803055.jpg

I think that argument makes some sense. But I don't know why my red plastic container doesn't change. I will have to see if it too is reflecting IR. Could be why it didn't change with my SD14 tests. Though with the SD14 lights went yellow and my traffic light had interesting colors.

Also was hoping the Suba alone would work on my Em5mk2 stock camera. As it has a weak IR block filter internally. However, I can't get it to white balance. But maybe I need to try a f1.2 lens to get more light. I was finally able to get a custom WB using my 390bp25 filter using a strong light source.

Kolari says in their IR Chrome filter, that it will only work with full spectrum converted cameras. So maybe the Suba combination is similar.

I am awaiting my GRB3 filters from china. Hopefully, they really are equivalent to KG3 filters, as the cost was attractive.

The S8612 stack answers that question for everything red I can find in my scene, but I can't say if your container is reflecting IR or not.

The red shed and barn and tail lights don't 'change' either, they stay looking pretty much the same as a visual only shot, so much so that one might think they are showing the visual red in the 729 shots.

Your container stays red also. Try some IR longpass filter and see if the container reflects IR.

I have not tried the 729 filter alone since I started doing the in camera custom white balance for these shots. I should try that next time I shoot with this stack.

David Twede shows both 729 and 729 + KG3, they looks very similar, so we should be able to get a fairly similar red without the KG3, and that is all about white balance I think.

However, as much as I have argued in favor of out of camera white balance from RAW over the years, this really made my head spin when I got much better white balance in camera.

Just lucky that I could do it in camera, because so many filters and stacks will not white balance in my Nikons.

Old Nikon D200's use to be able to do it well, I have been told, never had one of those myself, but my D90, and D7000 don't do it well, and I have been told this is true of even the newest models also, D810, D850.

However, I am under the impression than many of the mirror-less cameras and others will white balance easier for some of these crazy filters we use compared to Nikons.

I almost gave up trying to make this work when white balancing from RAW, it worked, but no where near as good.

I think you are white balancing in camera, so I am not applying this blabber to you, just to me. I was very surprised when I used in camera white balance for this.

I should try doing a custom white balance for the 729 alone. To be continued... ;)

And thanks again, for starting this topic and finding David's link and all... I am having fun with this.

PS: forgot to mention, notice how the yellow tail light is still yellow in the S8612 stack addition.