UltravioletPhotography

Lee Blue filter test to get the Aerochrome Red in camera

dabateman

Cadmium, thank you so much!!

I have understood the principle of all this, found all graphs, am analyzing, looking for suitable glass. I don't know what's will be eventually, maybe nothing, but I'm gonna try. I'm interested in the search process. just interesting, just fun. my nickname ins13... insane. Do not judge strictly. :)

And it is not in greed to buy Lee filter of course, I'll spend in 5 times more on different filters for experiments.

And yes it was a bit dark on the tests, the exposure was very in the minus. because facilities on the roof began to move to overexposure

When i will have all need filters and when leaves on the trees will appear i will go to do test pictures with these filters. And in order not to clutter up this topic i will make other ones: my search for the aerochrome effect :D

And I found here almost the same which you advised, Chris James Medium Blue Green 116

I will go tomorrow to take it away

Thank you!!!

Like I said, I would be happy to send you a 729 laminated between cladding glass, for free, free shipping even, so you can try it. Should work fine stacked with your СЗС24 (KG3) filter.

No obligation at all, it is no big deal, I give filters to people occasionally to test, to keep, I want people to try things.

Yes, finding a glass that works like 729 would be good. I have been looking, but I have not found one so far. I think there is one, somewhere. But it has to be ONE, not a stack, we are already stacking the KG3.

So keep looking, so will I.

In the mean time, 729 laminated between glass sounds rather nice to me. You ever seen the Schott KV filters? That is how they were built. They are probably the best longpass UV/Visual barrier filters for UVIVF, because they don't fluoresce. So the idea of laminating polyester between glass is rather powerful and useful, because there are so many various polyester filters that might be used this way between glass,

that idea in and of itself is very interesting for many possibilities.

Do I judge what? Your nickname? I don't understand.

Greed? I don't understand. The 729 WORKS, it has nothing to do with the cost.

You want one, I will make you one that is glass, free. I want you to try it.

What was your thinking in stacking the 80A and 80B, to further suppress red?

Keep in mind it is not Aerochrome effect, it is just IR instead of visual red. It is like taking two pics, visual and IR, then moving the IR into red channel, without changing the location of the visual blue or green,

whereas, true Aerochrome moves the visual channels.

Yes, #116 should be similar. I will try it when weather is good.

Here is What David Twede says about the #116 filters compared to #729 filter:

"I've since tried both of the Lee filters mentioned, and the scuba blue, darker than the other, provides a much closer feel to the original EIR film, when custom white balancing off of a grey card."

https://next-eyes.blogspot.com/2018/11/my-history-re-inventing-digital-ir.html?m=1

Eka, what are your camera setting for that stack?

Cadmium, thank you so much for your kindness and generosity. It would be great to get the 729 laminated by glass! if you would allow to send you russian filter you need. if I can find it, their available are less and less.

Yes I'll try to find a replacement for gel 729, it is interesting!

I've never seen the Schott KV filters. I have seen similar technology filter probably only in variable polarizers. Maybe

to judge... ins13...insane...I meant that it is perhaps a little strange that when you say to me what kind of filter works best but i want to try anyway to use something that is worse. I don't know how to explain it better :) Let's call it a unsuccessful joke

I agree that "The 729 WORKS, it has nothing to do with the cost". That's what I meant too.

Yes, I hope that the stacking the 80A and 80B give a better repress red. That's right, isn't it? 0,5X0,5=0.25

Thank you very much for the link and quote of David Twede. it is very interesting and informative, I will study

My camera setting was f2.8, iso 200, exposure compensation -1, 1/320 on the bottom pictures and 1/500 on up right one.

Cadmium, I were reading David Twede on your link and seeing his photos with fisheye lens and the wise his thought reached me - the gel filter has undoubted advantage over glass!!! It can be placed inside the system and take photos with fisheye lens like David Twede did it !!!

my lovely fisheye that lies idle because any filter can't be screwed on it....

Are these filters the same? Which one is better to buy?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-Filters-729-Scuba-Blue-Lighting-Gel-Sheet-21-by-24/302519643628

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-Filters-Lighting-Gel-Sheet-729-Scuba-Blue-High-Temperature-21-by-22/292322737508

Same seller/location, they look the same to me, you should ask the seller why the price is different.

Yep, you can put the 'gel' on the back of the fisheye. Technically it is not a gel, if I am not mistaken gel filters are made out of another material.

Eka,

The more expensive Suba in your links is the HT version. This stands for high temperature, meaning you can place it in a standard spot light and it will not burst into flames. Or that you don't need to use the Lee heat shield filter with it for spots. Now that many theaters have switched to LED lighting, I would assu.e heat to be less of an issue.

Interesting, I started life as a lightning and sound guy. But that was many decades ago. Intellibeams were the rage.

The 729 in my swatch book is the HT version.

Hmm, yep, my swatch 729 is HT also.

By the way, get a swatch book while your at it. Some cool stuff in there.

Get the 'numeric' version, easier to find things, and contains full selection.

Same seller has the numeric edition lee swatch book.

https://www.ebay.com...bkAAOSw5wFb7wLk

There might be less expensive places to get one though.

I got mine as Film Tools, but for you it will mostly be about the shipping cost. If that guy combines shipping, then maybe he is best.

Here is film tools:

https://www.filmtool...swatchbook.html

Film tools also has Lee sheets...

https://www.filmtool...%20scuba%20blue

ADDED: Darn, just noticed they show the designers edition, the one they sent me was the numeric edition...

Hmm, let me check, yep, they sent me the numeric.

I think they accept PayPal.

Lee has the very large swatch book, but forget about getting one, they only let big Hollywood type people have those.

dabateman, Cadmium, thank you!! i am thinking....

it's too small swatch book. 2,5x5 sm? I can't use these sheets.

maybe I should buy the NT version? Is that more "right"? previously perhaps 729 filters were for hot light. All light was hot

You can probably use the swatch size on the back of a lens, but I would just keep it around for reference, try to save it.

The big sheets are bigger than you will ever need for any lens.

NT version?

The actual sheet I got says 729, only no HT on it.

Just get that one if it is least expensive. Who knows what the transmission difference might be in the IR range for the HT version. Maybe they are both the same.

See if you can order the swatch book from Lee. This is where I got mine:

https://shop.leefiltersusa.com/LEE-Swatch-Books_c4.htm

The design edition is currently $0.01, but shipping in USA is about $7.50. Try it and see if it redirects you to a Russian site. I don't think you can get the master edition anymore. It was a sampler with full sheets. I have seen them sold some times on ebay for over $100.

The swatch book is great just to get an idea of all the different real filters and includes most spectra from 250nm to 800nm.

Alternatively you can download the lee android or apple app, to skim through each filter type. The app only shows 400nm to 700nm, which is sad since we know they have it out further in both directions.

But one advantage of the app is it not only displays the spectra but the filter color as full screen. So if you want a full screen color to light something up you can place it on your phone. I am still playing with that for optical dyeing a microscope sample.

Delivery everywhere looks huge in comparison with the price for the swatch book :wacko:

I bought Lee 729 and 116 filters on ebay. I'm waiting :) long, long, excruciating waiting....

And later i will buy the swatch book there too

in the meantime I will test my large stock of colored glass....

• 4 weeks later...
Today I've got my Lee 729, 116 and HT729 filters. I'm not writing this to share the joy :) I asked if there was a difference between 729 and HT729. i see now - there is a difference. I would like to say that 729 Scuba Blue High Temperature is not "optical" quality - muddy and small scale corrugated. It can be decisively thrown away or given to Studio photographers)) Maybe I got a defective one. but it is unlikely, yes?
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is my laminated version of Lee #729 + Schott KG3.

Construction:

KG3 2mm thick - glue - 729 - glue - BK7 1mm thick cladding

This ends up being 3mm thick which at some point I intend to reduce down to a total of 2.5mm thick by using KG5 1.5mm thick (which is equivalent to KG3 2mm).

I will take this out for a test drive soon.

post-87-0-30248700-1558426152.jpg

post-87-0-98731100-1558426158.jpg

Andy Perrin
It would be interesting if one of our members with spectrometers could find the spectrum of that Scuba Blue filter.

Andy,

I don't doubt the provided spectrum that Lee provides in the sample pack. But I guess confirmation is always a good thing.

Cadmium,

Interesting to see you making one now. I found that my GRB3 Chinese glass is most likely not equivalent to the KG3. As I get a really odd read using the Suba. I get better colors useing other filters from the pack. Probably why I like the #183. As with the GRB3, its different than what you posted.