UltravioletPhotography

Hello from BC Canada

cancington42

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to introduce myself and share some of my work. I’ve been doing digital photography for just over 2 years now, and I got my full spectrum camera a year ago for astronimical use, and figured to get some infrared filters to play with. When I first tried a 720nm filter I was instantly hooked! It’s so much fun to see the world through the various filters I’ve collected. I started with the Hoya 72r, and moved to a 590nm to experiment with more colour. Those are the two primary filters that I use, but also have the Hyper colour by Kolari, and also a 830nm filter. I think I like the results best between the 720nm and 590nm. I am expecting the new Kolari Aerochrome filter any day now! They are also sending me their 550nm filter to do a comparison, and am really curious to see how these filters perform.

I got a full spectrum camera to have the option to be able to play with UV, so I hope to eventually explore that spectrum sometime soon!

I'm curious to hear some of your thoughts about my Infrared work!

Please let me know what you think!

post-220-0-63765700-1550091600.jpg

post-220-0-71293900-1550091620.jpg

post-220-0-56916300-1550091641.jpg

post-220-0-59926800-1550091698.jpg

post-220-0-77030800-1550091716.jpg

post-220-0-14158300-1550091846.jpg

post-220-0-51514700-1550091898.jpg

All of them are very nice pictures with great compositions.

It is difficult to pick one favorite for me.

I often like the 590nm goldie look and the one with the flowers is unusual. IR image motifs are usually landscape images.

Well done! I find the surreal forms and color quite striking in the first one, and the forth one, just because I like decaying barns and structures. I've also ordered the IR Chrome filter, but not expecting it any time soon. Looking forward to your results.

Thank you so much everyone!! I really appreciate it! I just received the new aerochrome filter from kolari, it’s amazing!! I’ve never tried the film IR that it’s based off of, so I’m approaching it with new eyes, and it’s so much fun to play with! I’m going to work on a little write up, and have that posted soon!!

Also, I wanted to mention that I am on instagram!! You can find me @cancington42

Please share your instagram handle!! I’d love to check out everyones work!!

Thank you so much everyone!! I really appreciate it! I just received the new aerochrome filter from kolari, it’s amazing!! I’ve never tried the film IR that it’s based off of, so I’m approaching it with new eyes, and it’s so much fun to play with! I’m going to work on a little write up, and have that posted soon!!

There's a few people interested in that filter. If you can share example of what the RAW files look like before any processing that would be great. It would be good to know how much if any processing is needed to get those vibrant reds.

There's a few people interested in that filter. If you can share example of what the RAW files look like before any processing that would be great. It would be good to know how much if any processing is needed to get those vibrant reds.

here is a raw file, I just did some detail adjustments. and it is much lower resolution than original too for uploading to this site.

I used a custom white balance setting in camera with the use of a grey card.

it was about the cusp between golden hour, and blue hour.

camera settings:

iso 400

35mm (on crop 52mm) at F/1.4

1/125

shot with a full spectrum d7200 with a filter on the outside of the lens.

I am trying to selling this full spectrum camera, if anyone is interested please contact me!!

this was the first time testing out this filter, and I'm extremely excited to play with it. i'll be doing a direct comparison sometime soon between this Aerochrome and Kolari's 550nm filter.

this image is directly out of camera!!

post-220-0-27012600-1550865190.jpg

Very interesting thanks. I'm amazed the flesh tones still look natural. Do you have a normal, non-multispectral camera you can try it on? I know it's not advertised for that, but just intrigued. Also how does it work with blue skies, do they still come out blue? Apologies for all the questions, but am keen to know whether it can match up to the hype about it.

Very interesting thanks. I'm amazed the flesh tones still look natural. Do you have a normal, non-multispectral camera you can try it on? I know it's not advertised for that, but just intrigued. Also how does it work with blue skies, do they still come out blue? Apologies for all the questions, but am keen to know whether it can match up to the hype about it.

No problem!! I tried it out one other time and there was a tiny break in the clouds and the sky was blue. I’ll do more testing once this snow storm passes and we get some clear skies! I do have a regular camera that I can do a test shot with. Are you wanting to see what the skin tones will look like, or would a landscape shot be alright? My next session with a model is in a couple of weeks, so I’ll try it out with my normal camera then.

Don’t apologize for the questions!! That’s what i’m here for! From that one session I really think it does match the hype!! Skin tones look good, her eyes still came out blue. That really isn’t the sharpest image for an example, but It’s also lower quality too for uploading purposes. And I should mention that the colour profile is set to neutral. I did some slight developments to the raw image and they’re wasn’t really any need to add much saturation or vibrance, a bit of contrast and the images pop!!

I’ll do some comparisons between using regular in camera white balance settings, verse using a custom in camera with a grey card.

Thanks, I'm more interested in landscapes really - blue skies and red foliage. This one was a print from Kodak EIR I did a few years ago (actually probably about 15 years ago), and I'm looking to replicate this type of colour scheme without too much complicated image processing.

post-148-0-17801500-1550933937.jpg

Interesting this new filter leaves skin pretty much neutral. I'm still trying to get my mind how it does what it does.

Thanks, I'm more interested in landscapes really - blue skies and red foliage. This one was a print from Kodak EIR I did a few years ago (actually probably about 15 years ago), and I'm looking to replicate this type of colour scheme without too much complicated image processing.

post-148-0-17801500-1550933937.jpg

Interesting this new filter leaves skin pretty much neutral. I'm still trying to get my mind how it does what it does.

That’s a beautiful image!! Did you do the film development too??

Finally had some clear skies the other day, so I did a full test of the new Aerochome and the 550nm filter. I processed everything, and am just in the process of doing a write up to explain my process.

The aerochrome does give very similar results to what you posted! Blue sky, red foliage. All I had to work with was coniferous trees, so they were slightly darker, which is typical in IR. I’m really curious to see how it looks once all the disiduous trees fill in.

I’m also doing another photoshoot with a model tomorrow so I’ll be able to do a comparison between the Aerochrome and the 550nm too!

I’ll organize everything and post the images in the next couple of days.

That’s a beautiful image!! Did you do the film development too??

Finally had some clear skies the other day, so I did a full test of the new Aerochome and the 550nm filter. I processed everything, and am just in the process of doing a write up to explain my process.

The aerochrome does give very similar results to what you posted! Blue sky, red foliage. All I had to work with was coniferous trees, so they were slightly darker, which is typical in IR. I’m really curious to see how it looks once all the disiduous trees fill in.

I’m also doing another photoshoot with a model tomorrow so I’ll be able to do a comparison between the Aerochrome and the 550nm too!

I’ll organize everything and post the images in the next couple of days.

Thanks, but no that was slide film that was sent away to be developed, and then the same for the print too.

Look forward to seeing your pictures.

Out of interest Cancington, what happens if you take a picture of something green but which isn't foliage - green cloth or plastic or even a colour checker chart with a green tile if you have one?
cancington42

Out of interest Cancington, what happens if you take a picture of something green but which isn't foliage - green cloth or plastic or even a colour checker chart with a green tile if you have one?

I haven’t tried to photograph something green yet. I can give it a try! I’ll do some test shots on various materials and upload the results.

Sorry I haven’t had a chance to upload the comparison yet, I got a clear night and did a bunch of astrophotography and am just processing the data now.

Soon!

Yes , please try several green materials.

They can have different reflectivity in the IR-range where foliage is highly reflective.

cancington42

Here is the comparison between the new Kolari Aerochome and the 550nm filter for landscape. I have another photoshoot with a model coming up, so I’ll do another comparison once I complete those images. I will also do a comparison using my unmodified D750 as well sometime soon.

I’m using a full spectrum D7200. Unfortunately full spectrum converted Nikon cameras tend to have difficulty with acquiring custom white balance internally, though I was able to get a custom white balance with an 830nm filter, so that’s what I typically use in camera. It’s worth noting that the new Aerochome filter does allow enough visible light to transfer that my D7200 was able to read a grey card for a custom white balance. This is probably different for other camera manufacturers in regard to acquiring in camera white balance with various infrared filters. I do have a full spectrum A7III on the way, so I will do another test once that camera arrives.

1 - 550nm - Raw image right out of camera.

post-220-0-08656700-1551505815.jpg

2 - 550nm - White balance taken from a grey card and applied to the image in Capture NX-D. exported to tif.

post-220-0-24073000-1551505841.jpg

3 - 550nm - Channel swap adjustment blue -> red, another adjustment blue -> green. in photoshop, no other adjustments, just channel swapping.

post-220-0-30697300-1551505919.jpg

4 - 550nm - Median stack of several images with final developments with camera raw.

post-220-0-17107900-1551505939.jpg

5 - 550nm - Black and white adjustment layer.

post-220-0-22267900-1551505952.jpg

6 - Aerochrome - Raw image right out of camera with custom white balance taken in camera. exported to tif in Capture NX-D.

post-220-0-33802100-1551505967.jpg

7 - Aerochrome - Raw image with Auto white balance

post-220-0-17497800-1551505994.jpg

8 - Aerochrome - Auto white balance with grey card adjustment in Capture NX-D (exactly the same as custom white balance in camera)

post-220-0-21967300-1551506020.jpg

9 - Aerochrome - Median stack of several images with final developments with camera raw.

post-220-0-34861500-1551506113.jpg

10 - Aerochrome - Black and white adjustment layer.

post-220-0-87139300-1551506199.jpg

Conclusion:

The Aerochrome filter is amazing!! Easy to use right out of camera, and has a more natural dark red and a bit higher contrast compared to the 550nm filter. The sky in the Aerochrome is slightly lighter compared to the 550nm, but can easily be adjusted in post. They can both produce decent black and white versions for a standard deep infrared look.

I have never used the original Kodak Aerochrome IR film, so I have no basis for comparison, but as a digital photographer exploring infrared, I really enjoy the look of this filter. I have used the Kolari 590nm filter and have attempted to reproduce the Aerochrome look, but tend to get odd colour fringing at the barrier between foliage and sky.

If anyone is interested in seeing what hue adjustments look like, please let me know and I can work on various colours to see what the filter is capable of.

I hope this helps to display how the new Kolari Vision Aerochrome filter performs. if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

cancington42

Yes , please try several green materials.

They can have different reflectivity in the IR-range where foliage is highly reflective.

can you please give me a list of various fabric types to try?? cotton, wool, polyester..?

Thanks Cancington. Can I ask something - when you say 'median stack of several images with final developments with camera raw?', what do you mean by that please, it's not a phrase I've heard of before?
I decided to try out this filter myself thus ordered a sample today. As it is not among the cheapest of filters, hopefully it works to satisfaction ....
cancington42

Thanks Cancington. Can I ask something - when you say 'median stack of several images with final developments with camera raw?', what do you mean by that please, it's not a phrase I've heard of before?

I forgot my ND filter for a longer exposure to smooth out the water and the clouds. I took a short time lapse with an interval of 3 seconds for 50 images. I stack them in photoshop using a median option to blend all the images together. It simply softens the clouds and the water. I then use the camera raw filter in photoshop to make some final adjustments to the image. I also applied an orten effect, and a curves adjustment as well to the final images.

What do you think about the filters performance??

The Aerochrome filter is amazing!!

You are calling the filter Aerochrome? Do you mean the 'IR Chrome', that you pre ordered and have now received?

I forgot my ND filter for a longer exposure to smooth out the water and the clouds. I took a short time lapse with an interval of 3 seconds for 50 images. I stack them in photoshop using a median option to blend all the images together. It simply softens the clouds and the water. I then use the camera raw filter in photoshop to make some final adjustments to the image. I also applied an orten effect, and a curves adjustment as well to the final images.

What do you think about the filters performance??

Thanks. I'm impressed with the end result. I'm not sure I see this as a 'straight from the camera' filter yet - sounds like it still needs a bit of post processing to get those vibrant reds.

cancington42

Thanks. I'm impressed with the end result. I'm not sure I see this as a 'straight from the camera' filter yet - sounds like it still needs a bit of post processing to get those vibrant reds.

I see what you mean! But, the raw that I had posted was a neutral colour profile which tends to be lower in contrast, and less saturated. Even if i adjusted to a standard colour profile it’s much more punchy. With slight adjustments in camera, if shooting jpg, you could definiately acheive straight out of camera images with no adjustments needed in post.. but why would anyone shoot jpg..? I always shoot raw, and tend to tweak each individual image.

For the sake of experimenting, I’ll give it a try and post my results. I’ll adjust the colour profile in camera and shoot jpg, with zero post processing.

I can only guess that when the Kodak Aerochrome film was being developed there were adjustments being made during the developent process, and there was no such thing as ‘straight out of camera’ with film, right? I’ve never worked with film, so I’m not entirely sure the process for the development of IR film. Could you clarify the process for film IR development?

In comparison to the 550nm, or even the 590nm, this filter is far superior in the ease of the development process. And if you’re looking for the Kodak Aerochome look, this is the only filter available.