UltravioletPhotography

Aesculus hippocastaneum [Horse Chestnut]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2013. Aesculus hippocastaneum L. (Sapindaceae). Horse Chestnut. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...horse-chestnut/

Aesculus hippocastaneum L.

NO: Hestekastanje

SE: Hästkastanj

DK: Hestekastanie

FI: Yleinen hevoskastanja

DE: Gemeine Roßkastanie

EN: Horse Chestnut

This is a large tree, native to the Balkans but widely planted as an ornamental species elsewhere and frequently becoming naturalised. The species is not winter hardy towards the North so only thrives on climatically favourable locations. Traditionally it was placed in a small family, Hippocastanaceae, but recent treatment places it in the larger family Sapindaceae.

A. hippocastaneum flowers in late May with large handing inflorescences comprising white flowers with a red- or yellow-spotted perianth. The flowers are fragrant with a sweet and slightly unpleasant scent to them. Many pollinators are attracted to them.

The large chestnut-like fruits are inedible and slightly poisonous so the "horse" term found in its scientific and vernacular names is used in a derogatory sense.

Flowers collected outside Oslo, Norway, 28 May 2013.

AESC_HIP_I13005283199_VIS.jpg

Image reference: AESC_HIP_I13005283199_VIS.jpg

Visible light: Nikon D300, Medical-Nikkor 120 mm f/4 lens, built-in ring flash.

AESC_HIP_I1300528065346_UV.jpg

Image reference: ESC_HIP_I1300528065346_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light: Nikon D3200, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader U2" (Venus) filter, Broncolor studio flash with uncoated Xenon tube, 24 frames stacked in Zerene Stacker.

In UV, the perianth of A. hippocastaneum shows a profuse development of conical cells, the shape of which differs substantially depending on what flower part they populate. The UV-dark patches on the perianth share location with the spots seen in visible light, but are significantly larger.

[Published 30 My 2013]