UltravioletPhotography

Does anyone know the equivalents to the Russian filters

dabateman

I purchased four Russian filters a Y1,4x, a Y2,0x a O2,8x and a green. I can't remember the code of the green.

My feeling from them is that they seem to be a multiple from a Wratten #6.

Thus the Y1.4x is equivalent to a #8. The Y2x would be equivalent to a #12 and the Orange filter would be equivalent to a #16.

I think the green filter is equivalent to a #11.

Is this assumption correct?

Has anyone collected a spectrum from the Russian filters?

Do any of the Russian members know?

Thank you.

Thank you Cadmium.

I have been looking, but due to the names haven't found anything. These I think are the oldest ones from USSR, possibly Optick filters. The listing only said from TAIR photosniper lens. Mine are all 72mm.

I have been able to see many other filters with similar markings. But never any data.

I will take a photo of them tomorrow to help.

See PDF I sent above.

Thanks to Evgenia for help with all of this. :)

Y1,4x = Ж1,4x = ЖС-12

Y2,0x = Ж2х = ЖС-17

O2,8x = ОС-12

I am told that:

"The glass of all three of those fluoresce very strongly, both 3mm and 5mm versions - these are bad for luminescence / fluorescence."

"For luminescence / fluorescence - the ЖС3, and ЖС4 are very good filters. There is no glow in the glass, at all."

Thank you Cadmium,

I think your correct. Mine are all 3 mm thick. This is what they look like:

post-188-0-15577600-1546530101.jpg

Interesting under my LED white light with 2750K temperature the Y-1,4x filter looks almost clear. However it seems more yellow when you look at.

So your equivalents may make sense and match up with my recent long pass filter test, where the Y-2x was needed to cut out all blue light from my 365nm unfiltered LED A27 bulb. I can now fit a filter on that bulb, as I cut the plastic dome off and added 52mm spacers. So should be fun. I should add a post with pictures about it.

If I am reading your PDF correctly then the following would be about true:

Y-1.4x ~ XC-12 0% trans at 425nm, 50% trans at 450nm, Max trans starting at 520nm+

Y-2x ~ XC-17, 0% Trans at 465nm, 50% trans at 495nm, Max trans starting at 560nm+

O-2.8x ~ OC-12, 0% trans at 530nm, 50%trans at 550nm, Max trans starting at 580nm+

So my assumption would be wrong and the Y-1,4x is really closer to a Wratten #3, the Y-2x would be equal to a Wratten #8 and the O-2.8x would be equal to a Wratten #16.

• 2 months later...

Thank you Eka,

I think we have it now. I always thought the YG-2x was similar to the Hoya X1 or kodak #11. Your Russian 3C1 also looks like the same as a kodak #58.

I am not sure why my brain is fixed in Wratten code numbers, but that is how I seem to think.