UltravioletPhotography

Greetings from Portugal!

ACRosalino

Andy Perrin

Still tempted by full frame, mirrorless camera alternatives, for full spectrum conversion... Any thoughts on the Sony A7S? Its excellent sensor sensitivity in low light conditions should be a big advantage for UV, right? 12MP seems a bit low, for today's standards, but since I will be using it mostly with 'vintage' glass, that won't be a limiting factor, I guess...

I love my A7S! It does very nicely in UV. The LED problem Terry mentioned does not affect the A7S, only the A7SII. And the low light sensitivity is indeed very handy. My complaint about this camera is simply that it has the worst menu and button arrangement I have ever seen. They can be remapped to some degree, but it’s quite annoying.

• 2 weeks later...
Andy Perrin
Sometimes BG38 2mm, sometimes Hoya UVIR cut. Not 100% satisfied with either, however. BG38 does not cut UV much, and the Hoya has cutoffs that are too far into UV also, but more red.
Andy Perrin
My BG38 tends to have too little red IiRC, but I should take a daylight photo and check. I usually WB in camera using Teflon.

If it looks too red, then maybe you should used BG40, would trade you even.

Here is how it works for me:

Bluer - S8612 - BG39 - BG40 - BG38 - Baader UV/IR-Cut - Redder

(the S8612 and BG39 look the same to me)

Many people like BG40, depends on Camera a little.

However, there is no perfect replacement filter for whatever was originally internal. One size doesn't fit all,

however white balance can be helpful.

Not telling you this about white balance, Andy, just for others.

So... if I understood it correctly: Andy's A7S with BG38 displays not enough reds, therefore, a filter like Baader UV/IR could work better (as it lets through more red)?
Andy Perrin
Yeah hold up on that — I realized that I haven’t done a systematic test on my A7S. The conclusion that it leans toward blue was from my NEX-7 before I upgraded. So I actually need to do a check. I’ve been swamped with work lately so it’s going to have to wait a little.
  • 6 months later...

Andy, may I ask again about your experience with the a7s - have you found the ‘ideal’ filter to restore normal color balance?

I have just received my a7iii back from its ‘naked conversion’ surgery and I expect to try it soon with the Baader U filter...

And I also need a couple of IR filters... all this can get really expensive, fast :-)

Antonio- ideal? Well not 100% but my eyesight is not 100% either. (Color deficiency in red/green.) If I stick 2mm BG38 on there it’s reasonably close and you can adjust the colors with a profile in PhotoNinja, assuming you can see them properly in the first place... I have to admit, perfect color is not something I care about in my photography for reasons that should now be obvious!