UltravioletPhotography

Successful UV photoshoot with a Petzval lens!

SteveCampbell

SteveCampbell

Finally, a successful UV art portrait lens!

I attached a ~1930's Emil Busch Neokino 120mm f2.1 petzval-design cinema projection lens to a M65 helicoid with a 62.5mm to M65 RafCamera adapter, and mounted it to a full-spectrum 5Dmk2. I drilled a hole into a Pentacon Six lens backcap that happened to snap onto the front of the lens, and superglued a 62-to-77mm step-up ring (maybe 58mm? forgot), creating a filter holder. I stacked a 77mm UG-11 and S8612 for ultraviolet.

As highlighted in previous posts, this lens has phenomenal UV performance, despite being a fast telephoto. The petzval design gives beautiful bokeh and glowing highlights, although the dated optics don't give the sharpest image in town. Since the goal was art, not technical perfection, I wasn't too bothered by this.

Model: James Gray.

You might notice in some of the waterside photos he has a strange dark ring over his left eye. I puzzled over this for a while before figuring it out. I was wearing sunblock on the day, but he wasn't. When he looked through my LCD magnifier to see some of the images, he inadvertently acquired the sunblock that had rubbed off my face onto the eyepiece.

KB00kPk.jpg

Ultraviolet, Neokino 120mm f2.1 with UG-11 + S8612

s7FBH1h.jpg

wuTT8JC.jpg

MEXLSrH.jpg

wnG2UFm.jpg

aJpzhJR.jpg

TatgIXW.jpg

8r45jct.jpg

vhB2LrW.jpg

LKGvpCE.jpg

EtxkKeo.jpg

sfDuZ2S.jpg

WJbUTni.jpg

8yQotFI.jpg

bx8BJ8q.jpg

jdij7eI.jpg

YAQZwHY.jpg

IoYVfta.jpg

6QfQGXY.jpg

JwOx8Kg.jpg

oRzZtYz.jpg

C9S9kpD.jpg

bvQVzXq.jpg

w2QwKiy.jpg

G2JXl6T.jpg

X1HY4n1.jpg

Visible, Mitakon 85mm f1.2

opbKnpj.jpg

Infrared + visible, medium-format Pentacon Six Biometar 80mm f2.8 with tilt-shift adapter

UXZhbNj.jpg

Infrared (720nm), 140mm f1.8 soviet projection lens

CxDqyDI.jpg

Visible, 50mm f1.2 soviet projection lens

jG4qH7b.jpg

Infrared (850nm), 140mm f1.8 soviet projection lens

YvrLWPu.jpg

Visible, Helios 40 (85mm f1.5)

y2BluVu.jpg

Infrared + visible, 140mm f1.8 soviet projection lens

a51NVj1.jpg

Infrared + visible, Mitakon 85mm f1.2

8Vyo80v.jpg

Visible, 50mm f1.2 soviet projection lens

sVVdS6X.jpg

Infrared (850nm), 140mm f1.8 soviet projection lens

14BPYBA.jpg

Infrared + visible, Arsat 30mm medium-format fisheye lens on tilt-shift adapter

eye4invisible

Some great shots there Steve. I particularly like the penultimate one of the water movement frozen in time, especially how the droplets contrast against the dark water surface. Looks like B&W at 720nm?

Also, seems that I've stumbled across your Instagram as well - very nice portfolio you have :)

SteveCampbell

That is a very very nice lens. I love the bokeh. Your model looks great too, which is usual in UV!

Thanks, it took a lot of work to find a decent UV lens, and I'm quite taken with it. And you're right, not everyone looks good in UV (I certainly don't!), but fortunately James does.

SteveCampbell

Some great shots there Steve. I particularly like the penultimate one of the water movement frozen in time, especially how the droplets contrast against the dark water surface. Looks like B&W at 720nm?

Also, seems that I've stumbled across your Instagram as well - very nice portfolio you have :)

Hey you're right, it's 850nm IR on a Soviet 140mm f1.8 projector lens. I've been waiting to do a dark water dramatic shot like this for years. And thanks, glad you like them! Feel free to ask any more questions if you'd like to know how I created any of the photos!

eye4invisible

I was quite inspired by your shots with the Biotar 2/58, so I managed to bid for one on ebay (in Exakta mount) for USD 59.00.

Thought it was a steal at that price, especially as the optics are great (compared to my Helios 44-2) but the focusing ring is very stiff, and the aperture is temperamental. I may yet be able to sell it as-is and still make a small profit, then get another in better condition.

SteveCampbell

I was quite inspired by your shots with the Biotar 2/58, so I managed to bid for one on ebay (in Exakta mount) for USD 59.00.

Thought it was a steal at that price, especially as the optics are great (compared to my Helios 44-2) but the focusing ring is very stiff, and the aperture is temperamental. I may yet be able to sell it as-is and still make a small profit, then get another in better condition.

Yes, the biotars are often quite stiff. It's possible to take it apart and relube it however. I've managed the task with quite a few lenses (though haven't tried a biotar), and I'm sure there are online guides to it if you wanted to give it a go.

Steve, excellent uv portraits.

The series of images really shows off the advantage of using uv with your model. The tone and character in uv looks harsh and really makes your subject look almost intimidating.

In contrast to visible or IR, he seems like a push over.

You have got me to think that IR maybe good for a specific type of feminine shot, when I may want smoothed skin and white lines. Whereas a strong masculine image may work best in UV.

I tried to write that without any sexist intend.

SteveCampbell

Steve, excellent uv portraits.

The series of images really shows off the advantage of using uv with your model. The tone and character in uv looks harsh and really makes your subject look almost intimidating.

In contrast to visible or IR, he seems like a push over.

You have got me to think that IR maybe good for a specific type of feminine shot, when I may want smoothed skin and white lines. Whereas a strong masculine image may work best in UV.

I tried to write that without any sexist intend.

Thank you kindly! Yes indeed, I think of UV as adding intensity, and infrared/mixed IR+visible as adding softness. I think it's possible to use both to good aesthetic effect in men a women, it just depends on the effect you're looking for. Some subjects (i.e. me) just don't work in UV however. James happens to render flatteringly both photographically and radiographically (in UV and IR)

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to stop by and catch up to your work, Steve.

THere are some excellent frames in the set.

That Neokino gives a very "street" and/or "editorial" look. Interesting.

I love the IR guy with towel photo! (Caption: Infrared (720nm), 140mm f1.8 soviet projection lens)

But I see the background as a little brighter? Of course you as the artist have the look which you wish to pursue so don't take that comment too seriously.

I also love the water splash photo. Very good.

This one is quite good too: #15 Ultraviolet, Neokino 120mm f2.1 with UG-11 + S8612

Note though that the UV has brought out an anomaly along the cheekbone. Probably a makeup smudge or something?

Get me this shot: Tell the guy to very slightly raise one eyebrow and ever so slightly look down with just the merest hint of a smile.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

SteveCampbell

Thanks Andrea! The smudge is some sunblock that was transfered from my face, to the LCD magnifying loupe, to his eye when reviewing some of the photos from my camera.

I still have to go through and edit most of those photos, so the end product will likely look quite different!

I'll pass on the posing advice!

I wanted to stop by and catch up to your work, Steve.

THere are some excellent frames in the set.

That Neokino gives a very "street" and/or "editorial" look. Interesting.

I love the IR guy with towel photo! (Caption: Infrared (720nm), 140mm f1.8 soviet projection lens)

But I see the background as a little brighter? Of course you as the artist have the look which you wish to pursue so don't take that comment too seriously.

I also love the water splash photo. Very good.

This one is quite good too: #15 Ultraviolet, Neokino 120mm f2.1 with UG-11 + S8612

Note though that the UV has brought out an anomaly along the cheekbone. Probably a makeup smudge or something?

Get me this shot: Tell the guy to very slightly raise one eyebrow and ever so slightly look down with just the merest hint of a smile.

:lol: :lol: :lol: