UltravioletPhotography

Nikon 8-15 fish with Wratten 88A

Cadmium wanted some pictures with this combination (see clip filter thread) and today, there was a tiny bit of sun smile.png

So combination is the Nikon 8-15 fish with a Kodak Wratten Gel filter 88A

In general, there is no hot spot, but with a lot of direct light (sun) you can induce a slight flare.

post-21-0-05567600-1543686201.jpg

post-21-0-89061200-1543686212.jpg

post-21-0-77311800-1543686224.jpg

post-21-0-56369000-1543686238.jpg

post-21-0-96022500-1543686252.jpg

Alaun,

These look great. Can you post one straight out of camera, and remind me what camera you have. I am interested in the field coverage.

Thank you,

Update, 2 seconds in a Google search and got my answer. Full circle at 8mm and full coverage at 15mm. That's great. I will have to look out for this lens in the future. Would be fun on my Df.

David

Werner, Thank you for these!

I can't tell about any hot spot. Lets see what Bob thinks.

The photos are great.

I especially like #9, #10, and #13. It is also nice to see the mix of 8mm and 15mm shots.

Nikon made an 8mm fisheye, the one I have, and also a 15mm f/3.5 and also f/5.8 (I think), I don't have the 15mm lenses, but the photos I have seen of those are similar to your 15mm zoomed shots here.

Thanks again.

Steve: there is curvature in the 15mm shots since they are not rectilinear like the Nikkor 15mm f/5.6 QD.C

in the first set I see hot spot flare and the first three don't look sharp to my eye.

in the second set the monochrome images are quite sharp and came out quite nice - maybe I should take a trip there for my own shots?? the color images are hard to discern for hotspots.. second one probably.

the last set may have a hot spot in the first - third image, albeit faint. all look sharp.

I would use live view with this lens and check the image directly in IR from the sensor and orient the lens to mitigate any hot spot flaring if possible.. I know this is a difficult task with a lens that sees 360x180. also liveview allows critical focus to compensate for any focus shift.

Well analysed, Bob! :)

I do a kind of blind shooting. I neither used the view finder (it is black) nor live view. I learned and practiced that when I started with the D70.

As the AF-L button on the back is programmed for AF, it happens that I hit that button unintentional, just out of normal habit. But with the 8-15, the focus often stops very close then, though the lens seems directed into the far. All the pictures, which are sharp are manually focused :) using the scale on the lens.

That thing looks nice. Probably very useful, when it is bright outside. I have to google it. May be even more useful for UV?!

With the fish, I often use positions close to the ground or high up over my head (e.g. the last two pictures), which would have been impossible with using a finder

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Werner!

Post #2, Photo #2 -- That is so cool! It is a Photo-of-the-Month candidate somewhere. Or Photo-of-the-Year. It is otherworldy for sure. (Although I note that this Other World still has cars. Smile.)

Post #3, Photo #2 -- What a great photo. Love this one also.

• 3 months later...

Thanks Andrea! (didn't saw your comment until now)

Bob and Steve, thanks for the proposal with the Hoodman and Zacuto.

I tested both and will keep the Zacuto. But the camera then is quite a big machine!

(D810UVIR, UV Nikkor, Baader U)

post-21-0-91818600-1555602527.jpg