UltravioletPhotography

Sambucus racemosa [Elderberry]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2013. Sambucus racemosa L. (Caprifoliaceae). Elderberry. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light, with fluorescence. http://www.ultraviol...osa-elderberry/

Sambucus racemosa L.

NO: Rødhyll; raudhyll

SE: Druvfläder; druvhyll; klashyll

DK: Drue-Hyld

FI: Selja; Terttuselja

DE: Trauben-Holunder

EN: Elderberry; Red-berried Elder

This is a large shrub up to 3-4 m tall, native to Europe and having a circumboreal distribution when all the various races are taken into account. It may be introduced to Northern Europe as a decorative and medicine plant by monks, but is fully naturalised a long time ago.The shock red berries are eagerly sought after by birds and the species can probably thank birds for its rapid dispersal into new locations.

The specimen had introduced itself to my garden near Oslo, Norway. The flowers were photographed 26 May 2012. The perianth appears nearly white on the reference capture, but there is no uncertainty as to the identification if the plant. So I regard the offwhite colour as being within the normal range of variation shown by S. racemosa. The usual colour of the perianth is a yellowish green.

SAMB_RAC_I1205360209_VIS.jpg

Image reference: SAMB_RAC_I1205360209_VIS.jpg

Visible light: Panasonic DMC-GH2, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader UV/IR Cut filter, daylight.

There is a smudge on the rightmost perianth, probably a parasitic fungus.

SAMB_RAC_I1205360207_UV.jpg

Image reference: SAMB_RAC_I1205360207_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light: Panasonic DMC-GH2, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader U2 " (Venus) filter, SB-140 flash.

SAMB_RAC_I1205360213_UVIFL.jpg

Image reference: SAMB_RAC_I1205360213_UVIFL.jpg

UV-induced visible fluorescence: Panasonic DMC-GH2, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader UV/IR Cut filter + Kodak 2E, Nichia UV LED torch (narrowband peak 365 nm)

[Published 26 May 2013]