• Ultraviolet Photography
  •  

Infrared block, broad UV and visible pass filter?

Infrared Filters
86 replies to this topic

#81 Cadmium

• Members(+)
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 19:04

Don't forget to ask Andrea about her Baader U that was attacked by the illusive eastern garden slug.
It is one of my favorite stories, it always make me smile.
It might actually be turned into a Netflix original Halloween story ...someday maybe...
Anyway, as I remember it, after the Baader U was safely rescued, the ultimate question was, "what is the best way to clean slug goop from the Baader U".
A team of scientists are still working on this question in a special lab... somewhere...

#82 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 7,184 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 21:01

oh la !!! I've totally forgotten that one. I've had so many fine adventures wrecking my various filters !!

I probably used Eclipse on that mess. I'm sure slugs have their purpose in the scheme of things, but that does not include slime-tracking filters, IMHO.

Speaking of Eclipses...

After I accidentally stomped my BaaderU into unrepairable (and very sharp shards) in Anza-Borrego, we had driven on to Organ Pipe. On one of the loop trails, we stopped to photograph a nice array of desert blooms. I opened the back of the rented Ford Eclipse and watched my D300 + UV-Nikkor + AndreaU roll out onto the gravel road, take a small bounce and continue onward tumbling down the sides of the roadside wash in that location. Amazingly no harm was done. Sometimes the UV-gods are with us instead of against us. :lol: :rolleyes:

After those fun events, I learned to carry two of each filter. And to secure the gear in between stops.
Andrea G. Blum
Often found hanging out with flowers & bees.

#83 Cadmium

• Members(+)
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 22:48

An endearing story it was, with an ongoing thread at the time, which I searched for but didn't find on fotozones.
I don't remember if it was a slug or a snail.
So the saga continued...
But I thought the old rumor was that Bjorn was the one who rolled down a hill with his new UV-Nikkor copy...

Edited by Cadmium, 24 October 2018 - 22:48.

#84 dabateman

Da Bateman

• Members(+)
  • 885 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 02:13

Andrea,
I think my heart would stop and time would move in picoseconds if I saw that happening to my Pentax UAT.

#85 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 7,184 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 04:07

It was a slug. It's coming back to memory a bit. :lol:
Locally, the garden slugs are more gloopy than the tiny snails we get sometimes. Thing is, those slugs don't move very fast, so how did they manage to crawl onto a filter that I had only put down just for a sec between shots? And up over the edge of that ridged Baader mounting ring!

In Organ Pipe National Monument, Bjørn went sliding a ways down a gravel slope while in search of a Ratany flower. IIRC, he managed to hold onto his camera/lens and it was OK, but he got a wicked scrape along one arm. Fortunately, I had packed some sterile gauze wipes and little packets of neosporin ointment, so we got his arm cleaned up ok.
Andrea G. Blum

#86 dabateman

Da Bateman

• Members(+)
  • 885 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 10:09

View PostAndrea B., on 25 October 2018 - 04:07, said:

It was a slug. It's coming back to memory a bit. :lol:
Locally, the garden slugs are more gloopy than the tiny snails we get sometimes. Thing is, those slugs don't move very fast, so how did they manage to crawl onto a filter that I had only put down just for a sec between shots? And up over the edge of that ridged Baader mounting ring!

I think that is clear evidence that you were abducted by aliens, memory wiped and dropped down the next day. :P

#87 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 7,184 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 17:00

....hmmmm......why yes.....that must be so. Some vague foggy memory now of big eyes seems to be trying to break thru.......
Andrea G. Blum