UltravioletPhotography

Fields of mystery flowers

Jim Lloyd

This has nothing to do with UV photography, but I know there are a lot of expert botanists here, so I hope you don't mind me asking.

Cycling in the Scottish borders (recommended!) yesterday came across a few fields completely full of this flower. Any idea what it is and why it would be grown in fields?

post-175-0-01848900-1533290063.jpg

post-175-0-00233000-1533290034.jpg

Jim, this flower appears to be a kind of Phacelia. But I don't know enough about European/Scottish flowers to go further than that. We will have to wait for Birna to drop by. (I am not currently at home where my British flower book is.)

We never mind anybody asking anything !!

How lovely to bicycle around Scotland and find such a vast field of flowers.

eye4invisible

Cycling in the Scottish borders (recommended!) yesterday came across a few fields completely full of this flower. Any idea what it is and why it would be grown in fields?

I hope you can go back and take some UV shots - see what the signature is like.

Most Phacelia spp. shot during the 2012 US Desert Flower Tour (with Andrea) had quite UV-reflective corollas. I would expect P. tanacetifolia to be similar.

Thanks Andrea and Birna.

Wikipedia also mentions some other uses such as "green manure" - it looks very striking to seen a whole field of this from a distance. I don't think I have ever seen this before grown in this way, unfortunately I don't think ill get chance to take any more pictures (UV or other) as its a long drive (well in UK terms) from where we live.