UltravioletPhotography

Dendrocereus Nudiflorus in IR

eye4invisible

Here is an infrared photo of a dendrocereus nudiflorus tree (or the "crazy Cuban cactus" as I prefer to call it) taken in Varadero, Cuba, last week.

Rumour has it that there is another one nearby that is in excess of 500 years of age. Not sure if that's just a tourist trap/gimmick, since that one looks very much like all the others around, going by others' photos of it in Google Images.

Taken with my Nikon D3200 full spectrum, 18-55mm kit lens @ 18mm, f/5.6, 1/80sec, ISO200, with the B+W 403 lens filter on. Added some split toning in Lightroom for the sky and foliage.

post-116-0-26081200-1531078030.jpg

An unblocked 403 provides a very interesting set of false colors to work with. Nice dramatic effect the way you processed this one!

And an interesting old cactus.

Andy Perrin
Rumour has it that there is another one nearby that is in excess of 500 years of age. Not sure if that's just a tourist trap/gimmick, since that one looks very much like all the others around, going by others' photos of it in Google Images.

That doesn't mean anything. There are bristlecone pine trees THOUSANDS of years old that look pretty unremarkable to the eye. They just grow very slowly. A grad student cut down the oldest tree on earth one time...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus_(tree)

eye4invisible

That doesn't mean anything. There are bristlecone pine trees THOUSANDS of years old that look pretty unremarkable to the eye. They just grow very slowly. A grad student cut down the oldest tree on earth one time...

https://en.wikipedia...rometheus_(tree)

True enough. I guess it's just a tourist trap after all.

Yes, you can't tell by just looking! In the Southwest some of the Saguaros only grow their first "arm" when they are about 100 years old. But you wouldn't know that just looking. :lol:
eye4invisible

Huh? I was saying it could just as well be genuine.

Yep, I know. What I meant was that it's hard to prove either way, and that anyone could shoot a cactus tree, claim it was the 500 year-old one, and no-one would be any the wiser :)

eye4invisible

An unblocked 403 provides a very interesting set of false colors to work with. Nice dramatic effect the way you processed this one!

And an interesting old cactus.

Thanks Andrea. I have a number of different filters, but the B+W 403 for me is my favourite one.

The 403 is UG1 glass. But with some coating of course to help prevent oxidation (and possibly with some anti-reflective properties?) UG1 passes some visible violet, maybe some blue, depends on thickness. I don't know if the B+W coating blocks any of the violet or blue. I have an old B+W 403 myself with a width like 62mm or 67mm (can't remember right now) for which I need to get both a step-down ring and an S8612 IR-blocker so I can make use of it on my various UV lenses fitted for 52mm.

My B+W 092 is another favorite B+W filter. Has underlying 695 nm glass if I remember correctly. I've had it for years and it's now got quite a bit of wear & tear at this point from those various little accidents that happen in spite of our best efforts. :D