UltravioletPhotography

Yongnuo YN560EX Flash modified for UV Photography

The Skin Doc

The Skin Doc
My name is Dr. A. Geronimo Jones. I am a General/Cosmetic Dermatologist living in the Caribbean. I combine my passion for Dermatology with my passion for Photography. Presently I have a UV modified Canon 5D Mark III DSLR camera. Free of charge I show patients the effects of UV sun damage and the benefits of using sun block with comparative photos. However I am still limited to only using sunlight as my only UV source. I would like advice on how to modify a "Yongnuo YN560EX Flash" for UV Photography. Can I do it myself or do I have to have it professionally modified? I treat many patients for sun damage and skin cancer. This would be an even more invaluable tool to help my patients with the ability to shoot indoors. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

post-174-0-49970000-1529376557.jpg

Hi Dr Jones,

The case of the Yongnuo flash looks very similar to that of my Nissin flashgun which I modified by loosening the two screws which held the clam shell head together enough so that I could then prize the plastic (probably polycarbonate) UV absorbing diffuser out and cover the head with a thin sheet of polypropylene (or some such) to keep out dirt. Worth a try.

Cheers,

Dave