UltravioletPhotography

Cicerbita macrophylla [Common Blue Sow-thistle]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2013. Cicerbita macrophylla (Willd.)Wallr. (Asteraceae). Common Blue Sow-thistle. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?/topic/283-cicerbita-macrophylla-common-blue-sow-thistle/

Cicerbita macrophylla (Willd.)Wallr.

Syn .Lactuca macrophylla (Willd.) A. Gray; Mulgedium macrophyllum (Willd.) DC.

NO: Kjempeturt

SE: Parksallat

DK: Kæmpe-Turt

FI: Tarhasinivalvatti

EN: Common Blue Sow-thistle

A tall species, up to 2 m, native to Russia and used as a decorative ornamental plant elsewhere. It is widely naturalised in Europe. Due to its tall growth and rapid vegetative propagation, it is often considered a nuisance species and a weed. It blooms in June and July with large pale blue or violet flower heads. The exserted styles carry plentiful of pollen and pollinators are obviously attracted to these plants.

Specimens collected and photographed at Sørum, southern Norway 13 July 2011. The plants were naturalised in open grassland.

CICE_MAC_I1107137367_VIS.jpg

Image reference: CICE_MAC_I1107137367_VIS.jpg

Visible light: Nikon D3S, AF Micro-Nikkor 200 mm f/4 lens, daylight.

CICE_MAC_I1107132887_UV.jpg

Image reference: CICE_MAC_I1107132887_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light: Nikon D200, Coastal Optic 60 mm f/4 lens, Baader U 2" (Venus) filter, daylight.

The ray florets in the capitulum of C. macrophylla are highly UV-reflective so stand out almost UV-white. The ligule veins are UV-dark and so are anther tubes. pollen, and styles.

[Published 22 May 2013]