UltravioletPhotography

Bougainvillea Plant multispectral

This is the most common flower in Singapore, however I didn't expect such result with fluoresence. Shot on a A7S with Rollei 40/3.5 Triotar lens adapted.

VIS: ISO400 30s f11

Regular LED torch, diffused, light painted,

Camera with its original hot mirror and AA filter

UV: ISO100 10s f11

3W UV LEDs, twelve 365nm and eight 395nm, in circular arrangement,

Camera with AndreaU MKII filter

UVIVF: ISO1600 2min20s f11

Ultrafire UV torch with AndreaU, light painted

Camera with its original hot mirror and AA filter

IR: ISO200 20s f16

Another house LED that happen to emit IR, light painted

Camera with a 720nm IR filter

UVIIF: ISO400 1min51s f16

Using an array of UV LEDs 96W in total, in circular arrangement

Camera with a 720nm IR filter

Nice work, Bruce. I particularly love the IR false colours with the 720nm. 715-720 is my favorite IR-pass.

I'm wondering about the fluorescent photos though. Shouldn't the green leaves be showing some red chlorophyll fluorescence in the UV-induced Visible photo? I see a hint of it on a lower leaf. Was your UV-Led filtered?

I agree that the UVIVF image is concerning, also the UVIIF image. Those false colors in the UV image are fantastic though - love that inky gold and powder blue combo.

Nice work, Bruce. I particularly love the IR false colours with the 720nm. 715-720 is my favorite IR-pass.

I'm wondering about the fluorescent photos though. Shouldn't the green leaves be showing some red chlorophyll fluorescence in the UV-induced Visible photo? I see a hint of it on a lower leaf. Was your UV-Led filtered?

I used AndreaU for my UV torch. I think I have focused my torch on the flowers pretty much the whole time, and actually if you look close enough the leaves are reflecting the fluorescence from the flowers. And in the original picture the flowers are much brighter than the leaves, I pulled down the exposure to make them look more even. The lower leave is probably the only part that is not facing the flowers.

I agree that the UVIVF image is concerning, also the UVIIF image. Those false colors in the UV image are fantastic though - love that inky gold and powder blue combo.

Hi, Mark, I have increased the contrast to maximum and increased saturation somewhat for the IR nad UVIIF images, because the original imges are too washed out. I have tested my UV LEDs are not emitting any IR, and I think my IR filter has effectively cut off the visible spectrum, that can be seen is the extended exposure time in the UVIIF than the UVIVF, when I used the same UV torch I used for UVIVF, I can never get enough exposure for UVIIF. I think a difference in color can be a result of different camera response to IR wavelength.

That is a very nice collection Bruce,

I used to have a variegated Bougainvillea, pink, white & pink/white petals, but I had to cut it down as it is a prolific grower & when I trimmed it would stab me & I was allergic to the thorns & it would take a month to heal....:-(

I put up with it for 25 years !

You have done it justice ;-)

Col