UltravioletPhotography

Saxifraga oppositifolia [Purple Saxifrage]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2013. Saxifraga oppositifolia L. (Saxifragaceae). Purple Saxifrage. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...rple-saxifrage/

Saxifraga oppositifolia L.

NO: Rausildre; rødsildre

SE: Purpurbräcka; ljungbräcka

DK: Purpur-Stenbræk

FI: Sinirikko

IS: Vetrarblóm

DE: Roter Steinbrech

EN: Purple Saxifrage

A small creeping and mat-forming alpine species, S. oppositifolia is normally found in mountains and ascends to more than 2000m altitude i Norway. Towards the north it can descend to sea level. It has a circumboreal distribution

Flowering can commence early in spring even before the mats are fully melted out of the snow pack, and continues all through the summer. The flowers are, as shown by the vernacular names, purple to reddish pink. One might wonder what pollinators possibly could be present in a habitat where ice and snow reign most of the year, but smaller pollinators do zoom to and fro from the pretty purple mats all the time.

Plants collected and photographed at Kvam, Western Norway, 9 May 2005.

SAXI_OPP_I0505093028_VIS.jpg

Image reference: SAXI_OPP_I0505093028_VIS.jpg

Visible light: Nikon D70, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader UV/IR Cut filter, daylight.

SAXI_OPP_I0505093033_UV.jpg

Image reference: SAXI_OPP_I0505093033_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light: Nikon D70, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader U (Venus) filter, SB-2140 flash.

The corolla of S. oppositifolia is moderately UV-reflective, with UV-dark anthers and styles.

[Published 21 May 2013]