UltravioletPhotography

UVF Dandelion with filtered Convoy source

I have posted a few UVF images over the last few months, with various questions as to how much residual visible light is present.

I have just done this Dandelion seed head (Taraxacum sp.) in visible light, unfiltered Convoy S2+ UV, and the same source with a Baader U filter over the LED. I must use this for future UVF work, though the end result is not as attractive!

Nikon D800 with 105mm micro-Nikkor @ f/16. Exposure for UVF approx. 20 seconds, "light painted" with Convoy torch.

post-47-0-19776300-1525776919.jpg

Andrea B.

Yes, we do have many discussions about "leakage" and white balance when making our UV-induced fluorescence photographs! Quite an ongoing topic. Øivind has just offered an interesting histogram adjustment to compensate for residual light: Frozen outdoor

Your dandelion mop set shows that we have to be careful about the WB in fluor photos. Because, the center shot purple makes it look like the Dandelion fluff itself is fluorescent (at first glance), but the right-hand version seems to indicate that it is not fluorescent. Yikes!

I'm wondering just what chemical or structure makes the base of the fluff umbel fluoresce? Looks like a minature fireworks explosion. So cool!

I'm wondering how you managed to keep the fluff stuck on the Dandelion while transporting it to the black background. And how did you keep the fluff still for 20 seconds? :lol:

Dandelions are fun for tests. Your images look great, I like the series.

@Andrea, I have been using a lot of Dandelions for tests inside. The head closes at night and then if you give it more light the next day, while still in water, the stem straightens. Then once the water in the cup is all gone the yellow head is pushed up and out and a perfect fluffy head appears.

I still want to do a time course of this as it seems to be interesting, atleast to me. And in all the spectrums would be cool.