UltravioletPhotography

Epilobium montanum [Broad-leaved Willowherb]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2013. Epilobium montanum L. (Onagraceae). Broad-leaved Willowherb. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?/topic/272-epilobium-montanum-broad-leaved-willowherb/

Epilobium montanum L.

Syn. Epilobium. hypericifolium Tausch.

NO: Krattmjølke ; krattmelke

SE: Bergsdunört

DK: Glat Dueurt

FI: Lehtohorsma

IS: Urðadúnurt

DE: Berg-Weidenröschen

EN: Broad-leaved Willowherb

A medium tall, rarely taller than 0.5 m, perennial herb native to Europe ad Russia, E. montanum thrives on dry soils and in open forests where there is some disturbance. It quickly colonises a suitable habitat, such as a a forest clearing or recently burned areas as the efficient seed dispersal is by wind. Thus it may occur as a weed, but of a quite harmless kind, and the populations tend to be short-lived. The flowers are borne on the upper part of the stems and each flower lasts only for a few days. Small pollinators frequently call on these flowers so size is not always of importance. Flowering occurs in late spring or early summer and one may find flowering specimens until late in the autumn.

Species identification of Epilobium specimens can be quite troublesome, but E. montanum is usually easy to identify by the four-lobed style and its broad leaves with low teeth. The closely related E. collinum C.C.Gmel., a plant on dry soils and rockfaces, also has four-lobed styles but is smaller, a drooping inflorescence, and narrow sharply toothed leaves. They form an intermediate hybrid that is not uncommon in the regions where the parents co-occur.

Plants collected and photographed near Oslo, Norway 16 July 2010.

EPIL_MON_I1007161011_VIS.jpg

Image reference: EPIL_MON_I1007161011_VIS.jpg

Visible light: Nikon D40X, Coastal Optics 60 mm f/4 APO lens, Baader UV/IR Cut filter, daylight.

EPIL_MON_I1007161135_UV.jpg

Image reference: EPIL_MON_I1007161135_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light: Nikon D40X, Coastal Optics 60 mm f/4 APO lens, Baader U2" (Venus) filter, SB-140 flash.

The petals of E. montanum have prominent UV-dark veins rich with conical cells. There is a small basal UV-dark patch as well.

[Published 21 May 2013]