UltravioletPhotography

Cytisus scoparius [Broom]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2013. Cytisus scoparius (L.) Link (Fabaceae). Broom. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...coparius-broom/

Cytisus scoparius (L.) Link

Syn. Sarothamnus scoparius (L.) Wimm. ex W. D. J. Koch, Spartium scoparium L.

NO: Gyvel

SE: Harris; harginst

DK: Gyvel

FI: Jänönvihma

DE: Besenginster

EN: Broom

This is a shrub growing up to 2-3 m in height, native to Europe. C. scoparius thrives on sandy soils and is widely distributed in lowlands and coastal areas. It flowers in May with sprays of yellow flowers.

Flowering twigs photographed at Runde, Western Norway 31 May 2007. Rainy weather as usual in this part of the country.

CYTI_SCO_B0705315065_VIS.jpg

Image reference: CYTI_SCO_B0705315065_VIS.jpg

Visible light: Nikon D200, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader UV/IR Cut filter, daylight.

CYTI_SCO_I0705315070_UV.jpg

Image reference: CYTI_SCO_I0705315070_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light: Nikon D200, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader U (Venus) filter, SB-140 flash with SW-5UV attachment.

The wings of the corolla have dark stripes surrounding the UV-dark inner keel. Elsewhere the UV appearance is shades of blue. A tonal reversal from visible yellow to UV blue is uncommon.

[Published 21 May 2013]

This is very interesting. I have taken photos of wild growing Cytisus scoparius recently and the flowers maintain the yellow in the UV-image.

It looks like I don’t have the privilege to attach images to an reply in this forum, so I have put the photos on my blog.

What is your intended policy regarding a single species. Do you welcome additional posts/ articles, if they include other findings or additional aspects? If yes, I can post my images in an own article on this species.

I will look into the thread privileges. What you describe is not the intended scheme. Members should be able to add their own images even in a reply.

As to the publishing principle, we follow the normal practice in a journal. Thus, if you contribute valuable new material, this should be put in a new article so as proper credits are .

Finally, I was as surprised as you when the files emerged from the RAW conversion. So, to be on the safe side I tried three different programs (ACR, ASP, and PhotoNinja) and all of them made fairly matching output.

Privileges were correct. So am at a loss to explain why you could not attach images.

Privileges were correct. So am at a loss to explain why you could not attach images.

When I write a reply, the bottom „upload file“ is not there at the end of the page. It might be possible to add a URL, but the upload function is not accessible for me. I only see that when I start a new topic … ?

You need to use the 'Full Editor'. (if you don't see it, select 'More reply options').

... got it!

Cytisus scoparius, May, 19th, 2013, near Lampertheim, Germany

Visible light image with IR Neutralisation-filter NG, 1/125s, ISO 200

post-14-0-58393700-1369159749.jpg

image reference: NCH_P1080585130519

UV image taken with the Baader U-Filter 2”, 5s, ISO 400 (sunlight)

post-14-0-87027100-1369159751.jpg

image reference: NCH_P1080589130519

Images taken with a broadband modified Panasonic Lumix G1 and the EL-Nikkor 80mm/f5.6 at f8.

Interestingly, I this case the "UV-colour" stays yellow. I will take more images of this and similar species soon, I hope.

By the principle of Occam's Razor, the null hypothesis would be two different species are involved.

My German flora (Haepler, H. & Muer, T. 2000. Bildatlas der Farn- und Blützenpflanzen Deutschlands. Ulmer Verlag, Stuttgart) shows there are several species of Cytisus present in your region.

Unfortunately, there is no native or naturalised C. scoparius in my part of Norway so I cannot redo the UV capture at present. However I shall keep the current enigma in mind.