UltravioletPhotography

Hexadecagon House Multispectral Set

OlDoinyo

The structure in question sits in a small reservoir in McDowell County, NC called Lake Tahoma. I believe that it is used for private gatherings of some sort; I have never actually been inside. But it is a striking sight as one drives by on State Highway 80.

All photos were taken with the Sony A900 at ISO 100 and the Steinheil Cassar-S at f/16. The first exposure is the straight UV shot, through the Baader U2 filter at 0.6 seconds:

post-66-0-27120900-1524444654.jpg

This treatment gives notable aerial perspective on the hills in the background, despite the fact that the air was unusually dry and clear for this area and that visibility was over 70 kilometers. The wet stonework near the waterline is well brought out in this view. One can also see, looking through the building, an orange tint indicating that the window glass is absorbing a little of the shorter wavelengths.

Adding another exposure through a Kolari deconverting filter at 1/80 second, it was possible to assemble a GBU image:

post-66-0-28241500-1524445252.jpg

The effect of wind moving vegetation in the foreground between exposures starts to be more apparent, and there is less aerial perspective. The effect of the window glass has largely disappeared. One can make out the new vegetation more clearly due to the maroon coloration. A distinct yellow tinge is now seen on the wet stonework.

Adding a third exposure through a Hoya R72, also at 1/80 second, makes a wideband image possible:

post-66-0-18119400-1524445556.jpg

This is easily the most colorful of the images, and one can see that the fisherman below the catwalk in the foreground moved multiple times. One of my sons has remarked that wideband images make the trees all look dead--and orange is certainly not what we normally associate with healthy foliage. The water takes on an opaque cyan cast. If one looks closely, a ghost bird may be seen in the sky above the building. Registration was performed on the right eave of the building, and chromatic aberration causes the registration to worsen noticeably toward the left image margin.

A nice presentation, Clark. I always enjoy your images from so many different locations in the US.

This is a very unusual building, indeed. It almost appears to float on the water.

I'm not sure what your RGB intent was on the last one? This version looks like autumn. Love that ghost bird! Makes me think of trying for such an effect deliberately in an RGB collage just to see if it is interesting or not or what.

Have you made any stacks where UV in placed in the red channel? (Apologies for not being able to recall everyone's work, in case you have done this before!) I was thinking that the red channel in UV might hold more detail than the more noisy blue channel.

On the last image, mapping was I[RGB]U-->RGB. I guess putting UV in the red channel might create a different permutation of hues in the image depending on what else one did. I have sometimes used only the "red" component of a UV image for monochrome work, but here I just greyscaled the whole image just as I did the other two. The orange does look a bit autumn-ish to me, but real autumn foliage is more multicolored.