UltravioletPhotography

Photoshoot in 4 Spectra

SteveCampbell

Same model, same dress. I used my full-spectrum 5D mark II, white-balanced with virgin Feflon. Samyang 85mm f/1.2.

Visible light - BG-40

post-156-0-99693000-1520713649.jpg

Full spectrum - no filter

post-156-0-86983000-1520713656.jpg

Infrared & Blue - Tiffen 47

post-156-0-62640400-1520713652.jpg

Infrared - R72

post-156-0-12558200-1520713655.jpg

SteveCampbell

Thanks Mark! The Tiffen 47 in the third photo is a fantastic filter and quite underused for infrared photography.

Steve, all of these are very nice images. I especially like the third in your post - just a great shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Also quite like the third image. That filter false color effect is just lovely with this pretty model. Great pose/composition.

The R72 image is cool the way there is a fade from top to bottom from the diagonal flare. Nice.

I'm thinking that might be the first unfiltered portrait I've seen in the 2nd image? I'm not sure it works for me. What was your response to that one, Steve? Do you see any possibilities in shooting portraits/people unfiltered?

SteveCampbell

Many thanks Andrea! Ah yes, the third one has done quite well across a few sites fortunately.

Strangely the unfiltered photos have gotten perhaps the best response so far. Perhaps because of the similarity to visible, while still presenting softened skin and an altered color palate. Perhaps my color correction was off on that 2nd photo? Here are a few more unfiltered examples:

post-156-0-31767900-1521534780.jpg

post-156-0-22626100-1521534786.jpg

post-156-0-96414200-1521534790.jpg

post-156-0-61499500-1521534795.jpg

Also quite like the third image. That filter false color effect is just lovely with this pretty model. Great pose/composition.

The R72 image is cool the way there is a fade from top to bottom from the diagonal flare. Nice.

I'm thinking that might be the first unfiltered portrait I've seen in the 2nd image? I'm not sure it works for me. What was your response to that one, Steve? Do you see any possibilities in shooting portraits/people unfiltered?

I must admit, I quite like the unfiltered images - the colours remind me a bit of finding older colour photos, and they have quite a nostalgic feel to them. As you say, could also be due to the softening of the skin tones. Great photos, by the way.
Andy Perrin
Yeah, I have found unfiltered “full spectrum” photos make for nice portraits. I think I put one of my grandma up on here awhile ago. The IR really helps wrinkles!

Yes, I think the further unfiltered examples you posted nicely illustrate the possibilities of the unfiltered portrait "look". The slightly less saturated versions work best to my particular eye.

Altogether a very nice set. :)

And I add that for us botanical types, it is so cool to see other styles and subjects in UV/IR. Or in un-UV/IR. :D

BTW, for some unfiltered photographs a 90° turn of the color wheel brings out some lovely pinks with a touch of green. There's a LOT you can do with unfiltered raws as I'm sure you know!! I love playing with them to get different looks.