UltravioletPhotography

UV sensitivity could actually be widespread in mammals

I thought this research was particularly interesting and informative.

Getting eyeballs from many other mammals and taking them apart and putting them in front of an integrating sphere within a Shimadzu 2101 UVPC spectrophotometer. I mean c'mon that's something you have to sit down and read! :)

Also, it is much easier to understand than most other technical ones I have come across. My eyes gloss over when it gets super technical.

http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/281/1780/20132995#sec-4

eyeballs!

But ok I'm going to look. :D

(Although I'm not totally sure I'm totally on board with the author's premise about non-pigmented transmission of UV.)((LATER: OK, I can agree now about non-pigmented trans of UV because of the tests with Reindeer. Reindeer have no UV pigment, but can detect UV with their other receptors which tail into the UV region permitting them to respond to UV signals. Got it!)

From the paper: http://rspb.royalsoc.../20132995#sec-4

"The spectral transmission of the ocular media (cornea, lens, aqueous and vitreous humour) at short wavelengths is determined by their structural components, thickness and any specific short-wave absorbing pigments they contain. No structure will transmit significant amounts of light below about 300 nm owing to absorption by its nucleic acids and structural protein components, for example aromatic amino acids."

The italics and bolding are mine because that sentence seems to indicate to me that pursuit of UV nature photography below 300nm might be un-rewarding. If animals have no adaptivity to light below 300nm, then we might not find any interesting UV-signatures below 300nm. Just a thought.

That's a good thought. Is anyone trying stuff that low?

I wish there was a way to be able to remove our eyeball lenses like a pair of contacts so we could pop other ones in and check out stuff in UV etc and the pop back in when we're done. Or pop in the UV only ones and only see in UV. Surely damage would occur but maybe not if it was short term.

Infomercial:

"Tired of seeing only in the visible spectrum? Well, no more! New UV lenses by Ronco (a subsidiary of BaaderU). See what only a few others can see. An entirely new world right at the end of your fingertips! But wait, there's more! Order now and get a free bonus set of Infrared lenses. No more stumbling around in the dark looking for your slippers." Just pay extra shipping and handling.