UltravioletPhotography

UV-Nikkor eBay weirdness

Cadmium

Is it the same lens posted & removed each time? Same serial number?

Someone might have offered to buy it or something so the seller pulled it??

Currently there is one UV-Nikkor for sale on Ebay that I know of from the Leica Shop in Vienna which I would consider reputable, if slightly overpiced at $7700. Nikon AI/S 105/4,5 UV-Nikkor // 28584,13

I would buy this as a backup except why buy an old one when you can get a new one (Tochigi Rayfact) for about the same price?

The other UV-Nikkors currently on the 'Bay might also be legitimate but the asking prices are way beyond normal at approx (US)$9000 each.

The used one has the Nikon UV-Nikkor designation. The new one has the Nikon subsidiary Tochigi Rayfact designation. The lenses are identical. But the old versions are "collectible" and sometimes are sold with the original box, filter holder and wratten filter.
Wow, there are humans willing to pay an extra $2000 for a UV lens that is already $7000 because it is "collectable"? I am constantly astonished by my species.

I suppose people will "collect" almost anything. Some people collect lenses in hopes that someday the prices will rise. Just as other folks collect stamps or coins or art for the same reason.

Some folks collect in order to be "special". :lol:

I seem to have acquired a collection of UV lenses myself! Happily, I actually use many of them. I felt that I should not be running a UV photography website unless I had some solid working knowledge of UV lenses, UV filters, UV cameras and so forth. That was my excuse anyway. B) B) B)

This one was starting bid $2.50 or some such, they keep relisting it again every so many weeks it seems like. I think the seller had over 3,000 items listed at the time they listed the lens,

and each time it disappears within a few hours it seems, and now they 200 items listed, hours later? Weird...see what I mean?

No one ever bids on it, except I bid on it this time... then gone.

As a matter of fact, if you look at what they have listed now, and click on one of the items that has a bid on it, then that item is gone when you click on it...

I have seen this kind of thing happen before in the past, not sure what is going on with that, but I don't think it is because someone is offering them something outside of the bidding.

Always the same 'stock' pics too I think, and always says "examine pics close for condition...".

It is annoying, at least.

The seller is below, but their item I posted above is now removed:

https://www.ebay.com/usr/lotzzastuff

When I went back and looked again, I had that exact thing happen!! Click on an item and you get a white page with some message but the item is gone. I have no idea what's going on with that. I think it is supposed to be illegal for the seller to take an offer outside the auction bidding. So if this seller is doing that, then they should be reported to Ebay. If this seller posts the UV-Nikkor again and you bid, be sure to save a screen shot for reporting to Ebay when the UV-Nikkor "disappears".

I think earlier when they had the UV-Nikkor listed, they ad about 3,000 items listed then. A lot of other Nikon lenses, cameras also...

Now only 200 items listed?

Given how many items they have that are now gone (like the UV-Nikkor), and other items that are now showing the 'white page warning',

I really don't make any sense of it.

Oh well, I am going to go watch the new Star Trek Discovery series instead.

Is it the same lens posted & removed each time? Same serial number?

Someone might have offered to buy it or something so the seller pulled it??

Currently there is one UV-Nikkor for sale on Ebay that I know of from the Leica Shop in Vienna which I would consider reputable, if slightly overpiced at $7700. Nikon AI/S 105/4,5 UV-Nikkor // 28584,13

I would buy this as a backup except why buy an old one when you can get a new one (Tochigi Rayfact) for about the same price?

The other UV-Nikkors currently on the 'Bay might also be legitimate but the asking prices are way beyond normal at approx (US)$9000 each.

If you really want to 'splash the cash', Grays of Westminster here in the UK currently has a UV Nikkor listed for £12,000 (about 3/4 the way down the page in the Special Purpose Lens section);

http://www.graysofwestminster.co.uk/products/secondhand.php?cat1=3&pg=1

They also have a Noct Nikkor for £7,500....

Fortunately, I already have extra copies of the UV-Nikkor ...

It's one of those mission-critical lenses of which I never would consider not having a spare or two. Just in case.

enricosavazzi

If you really want to 'splash the cash', Grays of Westminster here in the UK currently has a UV Nikkor listed for £12,000 (about 3/4 the way down the page in the Special Purpose Lens section);

http://www.graysofwe...php?cat1=3&pg=1

They also have a Noct Nikkor for £7,500....

A few years ago I did write to Grays asking whether they had a UV Nikkor in working condition, no boxes, filters etc. required. They answered they intentionally never stocked any, only collectible items with box etc.

A few years ago I did write to Grays asking whether they had a UV Nikkor in working condition, no boxes, filters etc. required. They answered they intentionally never stocked any, only collectible items with box etc.

That's pretty much my impression of Gray's. They have some special stuff in there, but aimed at the collectors market. I bought something from them for research, and when I went to collect it I had the distinct impression of not feeling too welcome when I visited the shop. Shame really, but I guess they are used to dealing with some highly 'particular' collectors.

My personal experience with Grays of Westminster is uniformly bad. They literally treat you as the proverbial 'hair in the soup'. Supercilious doesn't even begin to describe their attitude towards customers.Never again.