UltravioletPhotography

Verticordia lepidophylla var. lepidophylla

DaveO

Oldfield, D. 2018. Verticordia lepidophylla F.Muell. var. lepidophylla (Myrtaceae) Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/2575-verticordia-lepidophylla-var-lepidophylla/

Maldon, Victoria, Australia

17 December 2017

Australian Native Wildflower as Garden Specimen

Comment

Verticordia lepidophylla var. lepidophylla is named from the Greek lepidos (a scale) and phyllon (a leaf), in reference to the small leaves. The type collection was gathered near the Murchison River in Western Australia during the 1880s by Augustus Oldfield.

Visible Light: Nikon D750 Full Spectrum Modification, Nikon Rayfact PF10545 MF-UV 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Metz 15 MS-1 flash, 1/200 s @ f/16 ISO 200, Baader UV/IR Cut Filter.

post-28-0-18041400-1517451162.jpg

Image Reference: DO65075

Ultraviolet Light: Nikon D750 Full Spectrum Modification, Nikon Rayfact PF10545 MF-UV 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Nissin Di866 Mark II flash, 1/200s @ f/16 ISO 200, Baader UV-Pass Filter.

post-28-0-50393800-1517451179.jpg

Image Reference: DO65077

Ultraviolet Induced Visible Fluorescence: Nikon D750 Full Spectrum Modification, Nikon Rayfact PF10545 MF-UV 105 mm f/4.5 lens with Baader UV/IR Cut Filter, Nichia NCSU033A UV-LED with Baader UV-Pass Filter, 10.0 s @ f/16 ISO 1600.

post-28-0-42137100-1517451198.jpg

Image Reference: DO65078

Reference:

George (Berndt), E.A. and Pieroni, M. Verticordia, the turner of hearts, University of Western Australia Press, 2002, p. 364

Published 1 February 2018

Remember this is myrtaceae where we also have eucalyptus and what look like petals there are nothing of the sort. Australian botany tries its best to confuse you folk from the northern hemisphere.

:D :D :D

We have one or two of those confusion flowers here too -- where what appear to be "petals" are really "sepals" or "tepals" or heaven knows what!

I was just wondering (late night musings) how many wildflowers do the US and Aus have in common? I frequently see in the field manuals that some weedy little wildflower I've just identified was introduced from Europe (stowed away on an Atlantic boat, no doubt). And I also read - a bit less frequently - that a specimen was introduced from Asia (via Pacific shipping, probably). But I don't recall seeing mention of introductions from Australia. Perhaps trade between our two countries was more indirect in the old shipping days - through the UK maybe?

On the contrary, there was a very direct trade between California and Sydney around the time of both our gold rushes. And surely you must remember our "gift" of Melaleuca species to Florida and Eucalyptus to California. Best to stop remembering at this point :rolleyes:

oh la! This all shows you what I know about history. Not much! :D

I never liked it in school. But in later years I've come to enjoy reading certain history books.