UltravioletPhotography

Viola odorata [Sweet Violet]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2013. Viola odorata L. (Violaceae). Sweet Violet. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...a-sweet-violet/

Viola odorata L.

NO: Marsfiol

SE: Luktviol

DK: Marts-Viol

FI: Tuoksuorvokki

DE: März-Veilchen

EN: Sweet Violet

This is a small creeping violet with large scented flowers. It is native to Europe and adjacent parts of Russia. Elsewhere it is introduced or naturalised from garden escapes. V. odorata flowers early in the season, in March and April, and can also be found in bloom late in the autumn.The flowers are highly scented and can fill the air with their sweet fragrance.

Specimens were collected outside Oslo, Norway 22 Apr 2011. The plants are probably native on this location.

VIOL_ODO_I1104221638_VIS.jpg

Image reference: VIOL_ODO_I1104221638_VIS.jpg

Visible light: Nikon D40X, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader UV/IR Cut filter, day.

VIOL_ODO_I1104222372_UV.jpg

Image referense: VIOL_ODO_I1104222372_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light: Nikon D40X, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader U 2" (Venus) filter. Broncolor studio flash, uncoated Xenon tube.

The UV signature shows a rich development on conical cells on the corolla, adding to the brightness and colour vibrance. There are UV-darker veins with a different kind of conical cells.

[Published 19 May 2013]