UltravioletPhotography

Echinocereus triglochidiatus [Claret Cup Cactus]

Andrea B.

Blum, A.G. (2013, 2021) Echinocereus triglochidiatus Engelmann (Cactaceae) Claret-cup Cactus. Flowers photographed in ultraviolet and visible light. http://www.ultraviol...ret-cup-cactus/

Updated 26 May 2021. Second set added.

Synonyms:

• Echinocereus coccineus subsp. mojavensis (Engelm. & J.M. Bigelow) N.P. Taylor
  • Echinocereus coccineus var. octacanthus
  • Echinocereus triglochidiatus subsp. triglochidiatus
  • Echinocereus triglochidiatus var. gonacanthus (Engelm. & Bigelow) Boissevain

Other Common Names:

• Claret Cup Hedgehog
  • King Cup Cactus
  • Mohave Hedgehog Cactus
  • Mojave Kingcup Cactus
  • Mojave Mound Cactus

Comment: This cactus is pollinated by hummingbirds. The flower colour ranges from a bright red to orange-red with a green stigma and magenta stamens. Its flower shows UV-dark tones with the anthers being somewhat brighter. The interior of the flower is false-blue. The UV-dark flower does stand out somewhat against the lighter spines.

Reference:

1. SEINet Arizona-New Mexico Chapter (acc 22 Mar 2021) Echinocereus triglochidiatus.

This is a southwestern biodiversity organization making use of the Symbiota portal software.

2. Wildflowers of New Mexico (acc 22 Mar 2021) Echinocereus triglochidiatus.

Website published and maintained by George Oxford Miller.

3. Allred, Kelly W., Jercinovic, Eugene M., Ivey, Robert DeWitt (2021) Flora Neomexicana III: An Illustrated Identification Manual, Second Edition, Part 2, Echinocereus Key, page 303. Print on demand at lulu.com.

4. Littlefield, Larry J., Burns, Pearl M. (2015) Wildflowers of the Northern and Central Mountains of New Mexico. Claret Cup Cactus, page 298. University of New Mexico Press, Albuquerque, New Mexico.

5. Epple, A.O. (1995) Claret Cup Cactus, page 161. A Field Guide to the Plants of Arizona. Falcon Guides, Globe Pequot Press, Guilford, CT.

SET 1

Desert Botanical Garden, Phoenix, Arizona, USA

22 April 2013

Wildflower in botanical garden

Equipment:

[Nikon D600-broadband + Nikon 105mm f/4.5 UV-Nikkor]

{Nikon Coolpix A]

Visible Light [f/6.3 for 1/800" @ ISO-100 in Sunlight with Coolpix A]

echinocereusTriglochidiatus_042213desBotGardPhoenixAZ_249origProofPn.jpg

Visible Light [f/8 for 1/320" @ ISO-100 in Sunlight with Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

echinocereusTriglochidiatusVisSun_042213desBotGardPhoenixAZ_7637proofPnCrop.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/8 for 1/2" @ ISO-400 with SB-14 UV-modified Flash and Baader UV-Pass Filter]

echinocereusTriglochidiatusUVBaadSB14_042213desBotGardPhoenixAZ_7645proofPnCrop.jpg

SET 2

La Secuela, Eldorado at Santa Fe, New Mexico

Various Dates as noted

Wildflower

Comment: The false-blue interior of the flower is more evident in this set. And photos of the spines show them to be very UV-reflective. These cactus flowers are not swarming with beetles, bugs, flies, wasps and bees like most of the others I have photographed. Apparently this has something to do with the hummingbird as pollinator of E. triglochidiatus?

Gear: [Nikon D610-broadband + Nikon 105mm f/4.5 UV-Nikkor]

These photos were made on 26 May 2021.

Visible Light [f/11 for 1/1000" @ ISO-200 in Sunlight with Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

I like the way the shallow depth of field makes a background abstraction out of the cactus spines.

echinocereusTriglochidiatus_vis_sun_20210526laSecuela_23300pn.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/11 for 1/3" @ ISO-200 in Sunlight with Baader UV-Pass Filter]

echinocereusTriglochidiatus_uvBaad_sun_20210526laSecuela_23304pn.jpg

These photos were made on 09 March 2020.

Visible Light [f/16 for 1/800" @ ISO-800 in Sunlight with Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

The cactus skin has a reddish coloration in late winter and early spring.

echinocereusSp_vis_sun_20200309laSecuela_18436pn.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/11 for 1/4" @ ISO-800 in Sunlight with Baader UV-Pass Filter]

The spines are brightly UV-reflecting against the UV-absorbing skin.

echinocereusSp_uvBaad_sun_20200309laSecuela_18440pn.jpg

These photos were made on 07 June 2020.

Visible Light [f/16 for 1/40" @ ISO-200 with Onboard Flash and Baader UVIR-Block Filter ]

Lots of detail in this and the next photos.

echinocereusTriglochidiatus_vis_flash_20200607laSecuela_20483pn201.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/16 for 20" @ ISO-400 with SB14-UV-mod and Baader UV-Pass Filter]

Multiple flashes were made during the 20 second interval.

echinocereusTriglochidiatus_uvBaad_sb14_20200607laSecuela_20501pn101.jpg

• 8 years later...

updated with three sets from NM.

added references.

Thank you, Andy.

I added two more showing lots of detail.

I still can't believe I actually "own" cactuses which bloom !!!

On ownership: The cactuses belong to the land. The land belongs to the mice, rabbits, squirrels, rodents, bobcats, coyotes and other critters. I'm only here temporarily.

The first couple in the second set has very nice colors. The red is very intense, as well as the UV-blue in the petals. They also appear to be partially transparent to UV, am I right?

I don't know for sure. I'd have to go test.

There is variation in the color - red to red-orange. Younger blossoms and buds seem a bit darker.

:smile:

The worst things to step on out here are any tiny little HOOKED spines because however much it might hurt going in, it hurts 10x as much when you try to pull it out.