UltravioletPhotography

Late Summer in Western North Carolina

OlDoinyo

What follows is a trio of land-and-road-scapes photographed a few days ago. It was the middle of the day, not exactly Golden Hour, so I concentrated on UV for a bit.

Photos were acquired with the Sony A900, and display intent is BGR. Lens aperture is f/16 and unless otherwise specified, the lens is the Steinheil 50mm with the Baader U2 filter.

"The Back Way:"

post-66-0-66320500-1506044927.jpg

"Hart Road:"

post-66-0-12702000-1506045018.jpg

"Roper Road (Tamron 21mm; UG11/S8612:)"

post-66-0-71027700-1506045105.jpg

The color of the road line in the last image is not as distinct as in the previous image taken with the Steinheil. This is in line with the known bandpass difference between the lenses.

It is amusing that in an R72 image of the same scene (not shown,) the old bucket at the left margin of the frame exhibits virtually the same color as it does here. This is undoubtedly a coincidence, as there is no overlap in bandpass between the filters used and the color balance is quite different.

Lovely. One of the things I like about UV is the ability to play with fog/mist effects even on only moderately humid days.

I'm jealous of your Steinheil. I have one, but while the transmission is excellent, the lens itself is one of the worst I own, extremely soft.

I'm jealous of your Steinheil. I have one, but while the transmission is excellent, the lens itself is one of the worst I own, extremely soft.

I generally shoot with mine only at f/16--perhaps that is the issue. The lens is rather soft if you try to shoot wide open. It is also possible that you have a different version; version differences plague the world of UV lenses. Mine is a Cassar-S, the version with the small front opening and no filter threads. Your description would more aptly describe my Tamron 21, which is soft even at f/16 due in part to chromatic aberration.

I'm liking those fence posts and the curving road stripes on Hart Road.

The bucket reflects both UV and IR in the same false color (given your conversions) -- what an interesting object! What color is it in Visible light? Does it have the same amount of reflectivity (i.e., brightness) in both UV and in IR?

Postscript: Southern Pisgah Ridge View

Sony A900 camera @ ISO 100, Asahi 35mm lens @ f/16, Baader U2 filter. Exposed 1 second. About 1,800 meters above sea level.

post-66-0-31362200-1506309188.jpg

I like the mountain shot!

My monitor is so dark that I can't see anything in the shadows of the bucket picture, including the bucket. I can see the sky, the road and part of the fence, but all the rest is black.