UltravioletPhotography

Accidental IR-filter, a bit like Aerochrome?

Clark, those are exceptional! I tried and tried but was not able to get Pixelbender to give me good results. Wish I could get it to work.

So far, I can't get anything I am happy with from the Pixonyx either. Maybe someday...

Would the MidOpt BN532

http://midopt.com/filters/bn532/

be a suitable substitute for the discontinued Pixonyx filter?

Results using the Pixelbender/Wavelength Pro method of workup seem to vary somewhat with the camera used; I do not know why this should be so, but I have often found others' files more challenging to work up than my own. Two things do seem to help: using a custom white balance to shoot the original frame, and if necessary, doing a calibration to get the slider parameters in the ballpark (one protocol is suggested in a post on Flickr's Digital IRG group.) A lot depends on getting the parameters right, and this takes a little practice and some understanding of what the parameters do. The upside is that correction can be finely tailored to individual equipment or even images rather than applying a generic correction. The default slider settings are close to correct on my camera, but most likely less so on yours.

Good morning everyone,

Thanks a lot to @UlfW to having started this thread. All the comments show very interesting content to tried to simulate aerochrome. I ordered the Pixonyx green filter two weeks ago and spent a large part of my holidays shooting with it. Now that I am back at work I am starting the processing of the files.

Here are 3 examples taken with a Canon 6D FS and the 16-35 F/4 IS. I found a low level of CA even at 16mm, but I think the results will be better with the Tokina 21mm, so I will compare the results with Tiffen #12 this afternoon.

post-112-0-04018100-1503318859.jpg

post-112-0-85310200-1503318864.jpg

post-112-0-72045800-1503318868.jpg

So I come back with some news. I made the Pixonyx VS Tiffen comparison, here it is :

• Pixonyx Green FIlter, Canon 6D FS, Tokina 21mm F/3.8

post-112-0-24402800-1503331385.jpg

• Tiffen #12, Canon 6D FS, Tokina 21mm F/3.8

post-112-0-99148900-1503331388.jpg

The exposure was fixed to the same value. To my point of view, the Tiffen #12 is really great to simulate EIR colors with a single shot (it is not a big news, as I have read here and in Flickr). the Pixonyx green filter is good too for its price, but it suffers from more CA than the Tiffen on my gear configuration.

Here is another picture taken with the Tiffen #12 with the same configuration, to practice digital processing with this filter :

post-112-0-09261000-1503331392.jpg

I shot then some other pictures with the Canon 16-35 F/4 IS instead of the Tokina, only with Tiffen. I wanted to check the amount of CA at wide angles. This amount is acceptable at 16mm and good at 20mm. Here is the picture taken at 16mm.

post-112-0-63336900-1503331394.jpg

I am following this topic avidly. All these IR film emulations are very interesting. I wish I knew more about them all.

I am thinking about re-titling this topic to indicate that it has gathered several varieties of IR film emulations. I will write to Ulf and check with him on that.

Does anyone know of a "color map" which tells us how original visible colors are translated to Aerochrome or EIR colors? I'm sure there is something out there on the internet when I get a chance to search, but some member might already have a link?? I'm asking because I think that Photo Ninja might offer a fairly easy way to produce an EIR or Aerochrome emulation using the Color Correction patches and their hue sliders. (See this tutorial: Hoya B-410 Red Blocker --> EIR: Photo Ninja Tutorial)

The iconic IRG diagram, courtesy of J.W. Wong:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jw_wong/4582442103/

The single-image method, by the same author:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jw_wong/35117360304/

Aerochrome film works by scrambling the dye couplers so that the equivalent of a channel swap occurs. One of the emulsion layers is IR-sensitive; blue light is excluded via filtration on the lens.

Thank you for the link!

Actually I think this isn't new to me. I just thought I might have missed something. :D

R(infrared) + G(red) + B(green)

RirGrBg

IRG

Just fiddling with notation.

It would be nice is if everyone posted the exact processing they are using for their pics here.

The German Green filter doesn't seem to work in any way special for me.

Personally, I think the best pics in this topic are Clark's PixelBender landscape pics.

• 1 year later...

Various green filters

post-87-0-64199000-1501835931.jpg

Thanks cadmium. You test the tiffen green? Anyone? I could buy in mi thread size for only a few dollars. I hope some could review. Tha ks

I posted my process in great detail here:

https://www.ultravio...dpost__p__28474

If you use the DB850 filter, which removes the light between 650nm and 830nm, stacked with Tiffen#12, then the multiplicative factors of 0.8 and 0.96 in the J.W. Wong single-image link become unnecessary since the 830-870nm light that the DB850 filter allows through contributes equally to all three channels.