UltravioletPhotography

Diervilla lonicera [Bush Honeysuckle]

Andrea B.

Blum, A. G. (2017) Diervilla lonicera P. Mill. (Caprifoliaceae) Bush-honeysuckle. Flowers photographed in ultraviolet and visible light. http://www.ultraviol...villa-lonicera/

Southwest Harbor, Maine, USA

10 July 2014

Wildflower

Synonyms:

• Diervilla diervilla (L.) MacM.
  • Diervilla lonicera var. hypomalaca Fern.

Comment:

In UV the D. lonicera corolla is UV-absorbing with the hairs on the anthers and stamens showing UV-bright. There is a very slight green cast to the corolla's false colour, which is somewhat unusual. It is possible that slight shifts in conversion and editing tools could influence this, but we have noted it before in other flowers. I have pushed the false green in the final rendering shown here simply for artisty's sake.

D. lonicera is a native North American honeysuckle enjoyed by browsing deer and moose.

Reference:

1. New England Wild Flower Society (2017) Diervilla lonicera P. Mill. Bush-honeysuckle. https://gobotany.new...villa/lonicera/

Equipment [Nikon D600-broadband + Carl Zeiss 60mm f/4.0 UV-Planar]

Visible Light [f/11 for 1.6" @ ISO-400 with Onboard Flash and Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

diervillaLonicera_visFlash_20140710shoreCottageSwhME_20947pn01.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/11 for 20" @ ISO-400 with SB-14 UV-modified Flash and BaaderU UV-Pass Filter]

A long exposure was made to permit multiple flashes for more even coverage.

diervillaLonicera_uvBaadSB14_20140710shoreCottageSwhME_20953pf.jpg

Well, no, I went and checked, and the Bush Honeysuckle flowers seems to have no strong scent like some of the other Honeysuckles I've seen - and smelled. The blooms are not particularly prolific on the plant. They seem to occur in pairs.

Last night when we stepped out of the car after returning from a piano concert, there was a gentle, perfumey scent in the night air. This morning I looked and saw that the source, some wild Valerian, was beginning to bloom. It was way cool being in sweetly scented, full moonlight. We were happy.