UltravioletPhotography

850nm IR - Track Hoe

That filter certainly lives up to expectations of what IR should look like :D Very nice and interesting tones of grey.

I noticed on the first photo that the filter differentiates conifers much better than the more ubiquitous 720nm class filter.

I wonder why the Wood effect would be less pronounced at longer wavelengths for conifers. If that is true, trichrome IR images of them should show chromaticity, but there are so few of those images out there that I could not vouch for the truth of anything.

That appears to be a smaller model of Case backhoe than the one I captured in Colorado last month. But I wonder if it has the same UV-absorbing cabin windows.

Colour differentiation of conifers vs deciduous trees was all the rage in the days of Infrared Ektachrome. Moving upwards in the spectrum range to near-IR and narrow bandpass filters (for example, using the "IR Tricolor" filter package of maxmax.com), one might still observe a fundamental difference between those two classes of trees.

You are correct, however, that spectral differences of many objects tend to be smaller once the visible range is excluded, but once in a while there are surprises.