UltravioletPhotography

Nikon SB-910 flash question

Cadmium

Has anyone used or converted a Nikon SB-910 flash for UV?

I have seen them for sale on MaxMax.

Has anyone done a mod on one of those?

I have an SB-700, and it is not good for UV even with the bare flash tube exposed. Perhaps there is something different between the SB-700 and the SB-910 flash tubes?

Does anyone know? One is coated and one is not, maybe?

You could always write to Dan at MaxMax and ask him about the SB-700?
Hi there. I have one of these, what is it you're after? I bought it already converted from ACS when I got my Nikon D810, and given what I was wanting at the time that was the one they recommended. I know they didn't provide me with a transmission curve for the filter on my camera, but I struggle to believe they'd recommend me something they didn't believe would work. However I do not have any different Nikon flashes to compare against (phew. there's a lot of belief in there). Something I hope to be able to do in the not to distant future is a spectrophotometric assessment of the flash output, as I want to see what this actually emitting.

Andrea, I don't need to ask anyone about the SB-700, I have one, and it doesn't emit UV very well, even with the front clear plastic removed to expose the flash tube, it is worthless for UV.

There may be some difference in the flash tube of the SB-910, I don't know. People ask me about flash filters for the SB-910,

but I can not advise them about such a modification, or if it would work very well without some modification to the flash tube of the SB-910.

So, just wondering if anyone has done a modification to a SB-910 themselves.

You don't need to add filters to the flash for UV-only shots, but you do need to remove any clear plastic in front of the flash tube which blocks UV.

You only need to add filters to the flash if you want to shoot UVIVF or perhaps some covert endeavor, which could be a bit dangerous to whatever/whoever you are flashing such an invisible UV flash at.

The question here is, is a stock SB-910 a good flash to modify for UV? Modification being removing everything in front of the flash tube that attenuates any possible UV from the flash tube.