UltravioletPhotography

I LUV LISBOA

DonPilou

Good afternoon,

After my exhibition, I spend some days in the Azores and in Lisbon. While I only shot in infrared in the Azores, I decided to try street photography in ultraviolet in Lisbon. the widest lens I have for UV photography is 35mm, which seems to be a good focal for the street. Finally, I made a series of 16 pictures divided 8 diptychs. I show you half of them.

About the gear, I used a Canon 6D full-spectrum, a Soligor 35mm F/3.5 and a Kolari UV filter. EXIFs were adjusted to allow handheld shooting : 35mm, between 4000iso to 6400iso, F/5.6, between 1/40s to 1/80s.

About processing, I worked on the channel mixer the same way than for infrared photography to recover a blue sky.

post-112-0-55176400-1496845515.jpg

post-112-0-42550600-1496845526.jpg

post-112-0-47105400-1496845535.jpg

post-112-0-87373700-1496845540.jpg

Thanks!

This is a nicely rendered series. "Street" photography in UV is a difficult art. Decisions must be made about the dark UV shadows and the false colour. I think that you have presented these well.

I have to say that in viewing the series (and the other street or landscape series by other members), I usually do not initially see or feel that these are UV photographs even though I know that skies are very light in UV & foliage is usually rather dark. In other words, the UV clues are there in the photos, but UV does not "leap out" at the viewer in the same way that IR "leaps out" in the typical Infrared photograph. I find this very interesting. Do you?

The diptych presentation is delightful. I like the 3rd set very much. The 2nd photo in that 3rd set is very ambiguous. I can't decide if I'm looking at a burned-out, graffiti-ed junk area or a some kind of purposeful art installation, maybe by random street artists? Cool!!

I also like the tension between the two towers in the last diptych. There is a pull between the near and the further away. And between the matched and unmatched horizontal lines.

I agree with you Andrea, UV is recognizable in portrait and macro photography, but not much in wider composition. Even if this rendering is specific to ultraviolet photography. Thank you for your complete analysis, the diptych I prefer is the second one here.

Nice work. I can see that the Canon has a slightly different palette than my Sony. I, too, like the last pair of images. Does the Kolari have dichroic or absorptive IR suppression? I don't see any ring artifacts (which is a good thing!) These are also very smooth images for such high ISO--I could not do that with my camera, as the noise would kill me.

I agree that UV imagery is not as in-your-face surreal as IR--there is nothing as dramatic as the Wood Effect on that side of the spectrum. The charm is more subtle.

The KolariU is absorptive and not dichroic. The filter is coated.