UltravioletPhotography

Where in the world is Andrea ?

Andrea B.

Andrea is making the second annual Desert Wildflower Safari in Arizona and Colorado - first giving herself mild, but unpleasant heat exhaustion in central Arizona and now experiencing mild, but unpleasant altitude sickness at 8000 feet in southeastern Colorado.

Well, nobody ever said this UV thing was gonna be easy!!

Did I mention the scratches, bites, bruises and sunburn?? :D :D :D

I've gotten lots of cool UV doc shots of various wildflowers and cactus flowers.

And found a lovely Balsamorhiza sagittata today.

Back in another week or so !!

Keep up the spirit, Andrea. We are eager to see the results.

Come to think of it, thought you already had lots of unpublished photos from the *first* Desert trip? You aren't making your life any easier this way :D

Thank you, gentlemen!

I am indeed so far behind in processing UV images that I think just a few more won't make a difference. :D :D :D

And I just could not pass up some captures of cacti in bloom.

I'm drowning in unpublished material myself. The only remedy is pushing them onto the site whenever a spare moment arrives. One or two a day will make a huge difference over a period of a few months.

Personally I think getter the "wider view" is absolutely necessary if we are going to get to a comparative state of the affairs. For example, progress in UV captures and image processing do now indicate virtually any flowers has a "UV pattern". It is just a matter of combining data over several dimensions of the UV world. The classic "bull's eye" is just one out of a bewildering diversity of patterns, in which UV reflectivity of various flower parts contribute together with iridescence, fluorescence, conical cell distribution, and of course all work in conjunction with the underlying visible-light colours.

There is material for several Ph.D. dissertations in what we are informally observing in our UV travels!!

For example, on this trip I have noticed again how well some "unpatterned" UV-dark flowers stand out against their UV-bright backgrounds of desert rock or dust. And in the case of some UV-dark cactus flowers, it is the UV-brightness of the limbs or pads of the cactus that offer the contrast. Very interesting discovery, that.

BTW, good news, bad news.

Good: I found a Saguaro in bloom !!!

Bad: The blooms were 20 feet high !!!

I suppose we would have to hire a cherry picker crew for the day in order to get a UV-photograph of a Saguaro bloom. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Finally back home now, but missing the West !

Working on preparation of all the cool flowers I found for posting here.

A few are up already. :D