UltravioletPhotography

Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8 DX Fisheye + LUV U UV Test

Cadmium

This is a quick test of the Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8 DX Fisheye + LUV U filter (rear mounted).

It is cloudy and slightly rainy, so not the best conditions.

Note the center bright spot with the infinity focused landscape test. May be something to do with the sky.

The dandelion shot came out fairly well, I don't see any bright spot with close shots.

When it gets sunny, I will try again, and do a Sparticle test to determine how deep it transmits UV, probably not very deep.

NOTE! If you take the gel filter holder flange off the back of this lens, be VERY careful, there are two spring loaded ball bearings (very tiny) under that flange,

and you could lose those if you are not very careful.

post-87-0-90071100-1491862392.jpg

post-87-0-23146700-1491905819.jpg

• 2 years later...
I thought this was supposed to be a sharp lens? It looks like one of those cheap russian fish eye lenses with only the center being clear? did your filters somehow make the edges blurry? any more photos over the last couple years? Been looking for a UV fisheye that's not 180. I like the full frame look!
Mark, it might be UV focal shift. The lens is not designed for UV, so at large angles any focal shift issue will be at its worst.

Exactly. UV results with that lens are not good. I don't think I even did a Sparticle transmission test on it given the poor results.

Birna posted UV results with a fish a while back, and someone else did recently also, with a different modern fish.

I tried to search for those topics, but didn't find them yet. Maybe those people will comment.

My fisheye was the Fujinon 2.8mm f1.8. But it does not have any filters slot in the back, so you need to tape or hold things back there. Its also a C-mount fish that works well on M43rds. So with too thick a filter stack you need electronic shutter, as the taped stack will hit the shutter.

I still need to take more images on it on my Em5mk2. Maybe I will post some.