UltravioletPhotography

Hemerocallis lilioasphodelus [Yellow Day-Lily]

nfoto

Rørslettt, B. 2013. Hemerocallis lilioasphodelus L. (Hemerocallidaceae). Yellow Day-Lily. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...ellow-day-lily/

Hemerocallis lilioasphodelus L.

Syn. Hemerocallis flava L.

NO: Gul daglilje

SE: Gul dagslilja

DK: Gul Daglilje

FI: Keltapäivänlilja

DE: Gelbe Taglilie

EN: Yellow Day-lily; Lemon Lily

This is an elegant, medium tall plant originating from eastern Asia and widely cultivated and naturalised elsewhere. Parts of the plant are edible or have been used in Asian medicine. The showy yellow flowers appear in late spring to early summer to make it an attractive enhancement of gardens. Garden escapes are common and H. lilioasphodelus is fully naturalised in parts of Europe, but rarely seen far away from urbanised areas.

Plants collected and photographed near Oslo, Norway, 21 Jun 2010.

HEME_LIL_I1006211397_VIS.jpg

Image reference: HEME_LIL_I1006211397_VIS.jpg

Visible light: Nikon D3S, Medical-Nikkor 120 mm f/4 lens, built-in ring flash.

HEME_LIL_I1006210768_UV.jpg

Image reference: HEME_LIL_I1006210768_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light: Nikon D40X, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader U2" (Venus) filter, SB-140 flash.

In UV there are large basal patches on the tepals. Traces of iridscence are observable there. Anthers are dark but their filaments are quite UV-bright. The flowers are coloured differently on the abaxial side as well and this makes the buds appear in darker hues than the opened flower.

[Published 28 Apr 2013]