UltravioletPhotography

Nicolas Chalwatzis

Nico

Hello,

My name is Nicolas Chalwatzis. I’m a biologist by training. Photography is my hobby. Inspired by the work of Bjorn Rorslett and others, I had a Panasonic Lumix G1 modified in 2012. It took me a while to put together a set of lenses and filters to get really started with UV-photography. The spectrum below 400 nm is particularly fascinating, because our eyes can’t detect it.

On the other hand all species I’m aware of that can see wavelengths below 400 nm are also sensitive to a more or less significant bandwidth longer than 400 nm. So, in order to understand the biological importance of an UV-pattern we need to put it in the context of the complete spectrum visible for a given organism. This latter topic is the one that I’m currently most interested in and that I’m planning to share in this forum.

I’m looking forward to interesting scientific discussions!

Best regards,

Nico

post-14-0-60806100-1367098834.jpg

post-14-0-39926900-1367098844.jpg

post-14-0-12221400-1367098853.jpg

post-14-0-32793900-1367098863.jpg

Welcome, Nicolas. This is certainly going to be a place where you can publish your observations, and discuss them.

The staff will have to decide whether we shall set up a dedicated board for topic discussions, or put them into the existing arrangement. No decision is yet taken and it is a breeze to move posts later, so we probably wait a little to see what happens here. In our first opening period we have focused (sic) on adding as much factual content as possible and there are lots and lots of material not yet published. Most of these species have never been reported in UV before.

Welcome, Nicolas. It's great to have you as a member here!! You have some good stuff on your website which I enjoyed viewing.