UltravioletPhotography

Sphagneticola trilobata [Singapore Daisy]

BruceG

EDITOR'S NOTE: Unfortunately the photos have been lost during an outage.

Gong, B. 2017. Sphagneticola trilobata (L.) Pruski (Asteraceae) Singapore Daisy. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light.

http://www.ultraviol...ingapore-daisy/

Nanyang Technological University, Singapore

19 Febuary 2017

Wildflower in home garden

Synonyms

• Creeping Oxeye
  • Trailing Daisy
  • Wedlia
  • Complaya trilobata (L.) Strother
  • Silphium trilobatum L.
  • Thelechitonia trilobata (L.) H.Rob. & Cuatrec.
  • Wedelia carnosa Rich.
  • Wedelia paludosa DC.
  • Wedelia trilobata (L.) Hitchc.

Comment

This is a common species in Singapore, it is cultivated as ground cover but also becomes a weed that threatens natural vegetation in many places.

Reference

1. Wikipedia (Feb 2017) Sphagneticola trilobata. Wikimedia Foundation, San Francisco, CA. https://en.wikipedia...icola_trilobata

Visible Light: Nikon J5, Natural light, ISO 160 1/20s

Ultraviolet Light: Nikon J5, Pentax 25mm f2.8 C-mount quartz lens, Illuminated by a UV torch, ISO 160 8s f16, Hoya U-360 (2mm) Schott S8612 (2mm)

WB readjusted

Published Date: 19 Febuary 2017

Bruce, thank you so much for posting a new flower to our UV botanicals section. I hope to see some more interesting Singaporean flowers as you get time to photograph them. :D

I have made some minor edits so that the post conforms to the formal format required in this section.

Publishing Guidelines: Formal Botanical Presentations

We like to see a white-balance tool applied to the file during conversion in order to display uniform false-colour results across the various gear platforms. So sometime if you would add a small white-balanced version of your photo, that would be appreciated.

Bruce, thank you so much for posting a new flower to our UV botanicals section. I hope to see some more interesting Singaporean flowers as you get time to photograph them. :D

I have made some minor edits so that the post conforms to the formal format required in this section.

Publishing Guidelines: Formal Botanical Presentations

We like to see a white-balance tool applied to the file during conversion in order to display uniform false-colour results across the various gear platforms. So sometime if you would add a small white-balanced version of your photo, that would be appreciated.

Thank you Andrea, I was wondering where to find a reference since I do not have a book. The white balance was done in Lightroom and I pulled color temperature and tint bar to their extreme left, but still end up with some warm tone, wonder how you do your workflow. Will put in a white balanced version once I learn the correct way,

There are lots of different breeds of orchid in local botanic garden, some display interesting UV signature as I have observed, however the lighting condition has not been good when I was there last time. I will wait for my flash to arrive and go there again on a fine sunny day.

Basically we (i.e. Andrea and I) use a RAW converter capable of setting the neutral ('UV-white') point from the RAW file. Some camera models can do this directly in-camera, e.g. most Panasonic models, whilst for example the Nikons can not thus necessitating a later white balance. Photo Ninja is very adapt at doing this by a simple click operation, and so is SilkyPix. I'm sure there are others out there as well. Some programs cannot get the colour properly just by setting a white balance and additionally require using a curve tool (AfterShot is an example of this).

Don't use Lightroom thus no idea about its capabilities. The ACR module of Photoshop (and LR if I have my bearings right) hasn't been willing to set the correct balance the few times I tried, although this might reflect my unfamiliarity with the software rather than an actual inadequacy.

Thank you Andrea, I was wondering where to find a reference since I do not have a book.

These days I think we can accept a Wikipedia reference for a flower. Their botanical references seem to be good. And in the case of this little flower, it is well-known around the world.

I am not familiar with online botanical references for Singapore or Maylasia, but I'm sure there is one somewhere. At a botanical garden, I typically take a photo of the identification sign for the plant to use for a reference. :)

I do not like to ask members to invest money any any extra software for converting their UV botanical photos unless they are interested in doing so for their own reasons. So I stand ready at any time to convert a raw photograph for anyone whose current converter does not give the blue/yellow/grey false colour palette.

Basically we (i.e. Andrea and I) use a RAW converter capable of setting the neutral ('UV-white') point from the RAW file. Some camera models can do this directly in-camera, e.g. most Panasonic models, whilst for example the Nikons can not thus necessitating a later white balance. Photo Ninja is very adapt at doing this by a simple click operation, and so is SilkyPix. I'm sure there are others out there as well. Some programs cannot get the colour properly just by setting a white balance and additionally require using a curve tool (AfterShot is an example of this).

Don't use Lightroom thus no idea about its capabilities. The ACR module of Photoshop (and LR if I have my bearings right) hasn't been willing to set the correct balance the few times I tried, although this might reflect my unfamiliarity with the software rather than an actual inadequacy.

Thanks Bjørn, I will research some about the softwares you have mentioned. Meanwhile, I have to make do with Lightroom, the only way I can properly white balance a UV photo seems to be exporting it as TIFF and import it again.