UltravioletPhotography

Iris danfordiae [Danford's Iris]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2013. Iris danfordiae (Baker)Boiss. (Iridaceae). Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...-danfords-iris/

Iris danfordiae (Baker)Boiss.

NO: Våriris

EN: Danford's Iris

This is a small early spring-flowering plant endemic to Turkey, where it grows on open slopes and in alpine conifer forests. It is used as an ornamental plant due to the showy yellow flowers and its early blooming.

Plants photographed in Botanical Garden of University of Oslo, Norway, 5 Apr 2007.

IRIS_DAN_I0704054044_VIS.jpg

Image reference: IRIS_DAN_I0704054044_VIS.jpg

Visible light: Nikon D200, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader UV/IR Cut filter, daylight.

IRIS_DAN_I0704054043_UV.jpg

Image reference: IRIS_DAN_I0704054043_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light: Nikon D200, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader U 2" (Venus) filter, SB-140 flash.

I. danfordiae is unusual in having basically a two-coloured UV appearance. In fact, this species exhibits a wide variety of UV patterns. There are large dark patches on the outer tepals, the mid ribs of which have a smattering of large conical cells. Such cells also give parts of the flower a shimmering appearance. Iridescence is present within the darker areas. Foliage is UV bright on the underside and dark above.

The genus Iris contains about 300 recognised species and a myriad of hybrids many of which are cultivars. Bi-coloured flowers, often in yellow and blue hues, are not uncommon amongst the Iris species. However, the presence of the similar colour palette for I. danfordiae under UV illumination was unexpected from the uniform visual appearance of its flowers.

[Published 25 Apr 2013]