UltravioletPhotography

Hello from Bellingham, WA

ori333

Hello UVP,

I'm excited to join your community.

I have always been interested in the perspective of the world through the eyes of animals which led me to UVP. Currently I'm working on an augmented reality project that will highlight what the human visible spectrum can't see. Attached is a demo image assuming one can't see red.

Since I don't have any UV equipment (yet), I hope we can collaborate and discover something new in this world.

Does anyone else here have similar interst or is interested in sending some files in my direction?

Thanks

Valentin

post-134-0-36103800-1482072464.jpg

Hello and welcome to you :D

We probably might be able to provide some footage for your project. I have shoot a few UV videos over the years, for example.

Hello Valentin and welcome to UVP.

We have had a lot of fun here on UVP attempting to model insect or animal vision for those critters who have UV visual receptors. If you use the search tag Insect Vision, then you will see a list of topics on that subject.

It is not enough simply to replace red flowers with black flowers. One must consider whether the red flower reflects UV or absorbs UV. The bee (or other insects) will see those two types of red flower differently.

Andrea and Bjørn,

Thank you for the warm welcome. After looking at the Insect Vision tag, I see my work is cut out for me. It will be interesting to incorporate all this information into software.

Best

Valentin

Andrea and Bjørn,

I'm currently looking for a few unmodified Visible and UV pairs that I can practice with. Do you have any links where I can download RAW files of the exact same shot with one taken with visible light and one with UV?

Most of the images I find on the site are already modified, or the visible shot is not the same as the UV shot.

Thank you

Valentin

Valentin -- If you give me a day or so I will "liberate" some paired UV/Visible/IR photos for you to experiment with. I'm busy today with various domestic errands.

OK, I packed up a set of 3 raw landscape images, one Visible, one UV and one IR.

If you would please send me a PM with your name, the purpose for which you will use the images and your email address, then I will create a License and email it to you together with the Dropbox URL where you can download the files.

The PM button is in the upper right corner by your name. Click the envelope icon and select Compose New. Use "Andrea B." for the recipient's name.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello UVP group,

Andrea has sent me some photos of flowers. I ran them through the algorithm, and got marginal results. Several false positives that are nothing more than shade. Looks like I got my work cut out for me. I'll be changing the contour detection methods.

Best

post-134-0-51189500-1483682976.jpg

Thanks for the update, Valentin!

Differentiating between shadow and UV-dark areas and shadowed UV-dark areas would be very tricky.

Here's a chart I made for a yellow UV-bullseye flower:

http://www.ultraviol...at-a-sunflower/

Here is my trichromatic bee-vision rendition of the bouquet. Special patterning was used for the "impossible" bee colours like UV-green.

triBeeVis.jpg

• 3 years later...

Hello,

I'm relaunching this project. This time I have a few cameras from MaxMax and AR headsets (Realmax 100 and Hololens 2). If anyone is still interested please let me know.

Best

Valentin

Hello Cadmium,

Thank you!

Andrea pointed me to Ben's work a while ago. It's on my short list of software to implement on the Hololens 2. Looks very good, and a few light-years beyond the chicken scratch I made 3 years ago. I recently moved to NJ so Ben may not be as close now as before :). Wish I knew before :)

It is pretty cool software, does a huge amount of things. generates more image version sets than you can imagine.

Ben Lincoln is always happy to help. It isn't exactly easy to get set up, but he will help people do it gets too complicated.