UltravioletPhotography

Noccia caerulescens [Alpine Penny-Cress]: CA SAR W-FB

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2013. Noccia caerulescens (J.&C.Presl)F.K.Mey. (Brassicaceae). Alpine Penny-Cress. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...ne-penny-cress/

Noccia caerulescens (J.&C.Presl)F.K.Mey.

Syn. Thlaspi caerulescens J. & C.Presl.; T. alpestre auct. non Jacq.

NO: Vårpengeurt

SE: Backskärvfrö

DK: Alpe-Pengeurt

FI: Kevättaskuruoho

DE: Gebirgs-Hellerkraut

EN: Alpine Penny-cress

This is a small perennial spring flower, native to central Europe and having closely related races in Asia and North America. Taxonomy and nomenclature of these races are complex and confusing.

It was introduced to the Nordic countries in the mid 18th century and by now well established and fully naturalised over large areas. The fragrant inflorescences appear early in spring and peak flowering is usually in April in lowlands and coastal districts, early May inland. At this time of the years few flowers are available for pollinators and N. caerulescens is eagerly visited by all kinds of small winged pollinators. Ants and small beetles are frequently seen in the flowers as well.

Children often consume the buds and young inflorescences as a candy because these taste sweet. Mature plants taste bitter, however, so are an acquired taste.

N. caerulescens exemplifies an introduced species that apparently fills an empty niche and thus has little adverse impact on existing plant communities. It mainly occupies fairly dry open grasslands, road verges, and similar areas. By the time grass grows taller, N. caerulescens has gone to seed set and the plant withers.

A mass occurrence of N. caerulescens photographed at Løten, Norway 7 May 2010. Gentle slopes, often facing to the south, are the typical habitat for the species.

NOCC_CAE_B1005070059_VIS.jpg

Image reference: NOCC_CAE_B1005070059_VIS.jpg

Visible light: Nikon D3X, PC-E Nikkor 24 mm f/3.5 lens, daylight.

Plants for UV photography collected in Oslo, Norway 13 Apr 2007.

NOCC_CAE_I0704134220_VIS.jpg

Image reference: NOCC_CAE_I0704134220_VIS.jpg

Visible light: Nikon D200, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader UV/IR Cut filter, daylight.

NOCC_CAE_I0704134215_UV.jpg

Image reference: NOCC_CAE_I0704134215_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light: Nikon D200, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader U2" (Venus) filter, SB-140 flash.

The buds and anthers are UV-grey, not the usual dark rendition so often seen in UV. The petals have scattered patches of conical celles, appearing as a brighter greyish shimmering on them.

Here is a close-up to show these details better.

NOCC_CAE_T1104202261_UV.jpg

Image reference: NOCC_CAE_T1104202261_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light: Nikon D40X, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens + extension, Baader U2" (Venus) filter, Broncolor Minicom studio flash with uncoated Xenon tube.

[Published 19 Apr 2013]