UltravioletPhotography

Lamination? Stack? Two Filter Makers Discuss Terminology

rfcurry

EDITOR'S NOTE: I split this interesting discussion from its original topic so that it would be easier to refer to.

The original thread is here LaLa U.

Steve,

By laminated do you mean like the Schott KV filters where "Their spectral properties are determined by a special plastic layer sandwiched between two polished glass plates that protect against environmental influences."?

Thanks.

Regards,

Reed

Lamination: "Manufactured by placing layer on layer".

Here is what Schott calls it: "...cemented glass filter combination...".

Here is my description: Two or more absorptive types of filter glass adhered together with an ultra-thin layer of special optical adhesive conducive to the the wavelengths being transmitted.

Cemented stacks, which work slightly better than the same two or more separate filters screwed together.

No, not like KV filters, no plastic sandwiched in the middle. :)

Steve,

Thanks for the explanation.

"Bonded" might also be an applicable term.

I guess what threw me was "OD5 or stronger is the standard lamination used in this comparison."

[EDITOR: Refering to LaLa U thread.]

There you are using the term lamination to mean blocking effect or possibly the filter or glass elements of the filter; but I assumed you meant the bond or interstitial element itself, like the KV filters you have. My confusion.

Cheers,

Reed

P.S. - Your LaLa filter does a great job!

I guess there are different definitions of the words, stack, filter, and lamination.

To me, what you call a lamination is a single filter made of two or more pieces of glass. This is the only type of filter I have ever made; except for the CopperU. But you say you can interchange the terms lamination and stack. So a lamination is a stack, and a stack is a lamination. Why use the term lamination, if it is just a stack?

To me, two or more pieces of flat optical glass cemented together, intended to pass only certain wavelengths of light, is not a stack but a single filter. It is very difficult for cemented filters once properly bonded, to be reduced to their component glass elements. Stacks, otoh, are multiple filters, not a single filter. This is obvious, I suppose, as it is impossible to have a stack of one filter :)

I am not trying to pick nits, I just like language and etymology.

Cheers.

Oh my, the nuances here are interesting for me who lives in Nerdville.

You Stock my ears with Lamentations about these Stacks and Laminations!

Sorry, could not resist a bit of wordplay myself.

I consulted a dictionary. Geez, I haven't looked up words in the dictionary for years! The teachers used to make us practice that in school with the actual book. It's so much easier now just to look up definitions online.

American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. (2011)

Retrieved September 6 2016 from http://www.thefreedictionary.com

LAMINATION vs. STACK

stack (n) = an orderly pile, especially one arranged in layers.

stacked (adj) = arranged in a stack.

lamina (n) = a thin plate, sheet or layer.

laminated (adj) = arranged in laminae; composed of layers bonded together.

lamination (n) = somthing laminated.

COMPOSITE, LAYER and STRATUM

composite (n) = a structure or entity made up of distinct components.

composite (adj) = made up of distinct components; compound.

layer (n) = a single thickness of a material covering a surface or forming an overlying part or segment.

layered (adj) = arranged in layers.

stratum = a horizontal layer of material, especially one of several parallel layers arranged one on top of another.

stratified (adj) = arranged in strata.

My very informal (or should we make that 'uninformed' because I am not a filter maker) take on the filter description would be this:

If there is glue between the two layers or strata of stacked glass, then you have a Lamination.

If there is no glue between the two layers or strata of stacked glass, then you have a Stack.

But hey, call 'em whatever you want, right?

Once the individual filter-glass layers are stacked or laminated, then does that become a single filter? Such a stacklamination functions as a single filter. But enough already!! The hares are in danger of becoming split and are madly scrambling away to hide.

I currently have a very unorderly pile of filters awaiting return to their filter box.

So I'd better go get busy.

Carry on......