UltravioletPhotography

[Filter Test] StraightEdgeU (v2016) Summary of Recent Tests

Andrea B.

Recently I got the new StraightEdgeU in for testing. Attached is a linked list of all the tests that were made together with a very brief summary.

The dichroic StraightEdgeU is a 379FWHM52 UV-pass filter with an unusual, nearly vertical right-hand slope. The peak around 380nm means the SEU is recording primarily in the R+B channels. This can give a different, artistic UV false colour palette depending on how you convert and edit your SEU photo.

With the SEU's IR-suppression between OD5-OD6, you need not worry about any IR contamination in typical UV photography. Our tests ran to 30-seconds with not a drop of IR leakage showing from the StraightEdgeU even when the converted file was severely pushed with auto-levels.

With the lens open, I was able to focus through the SEU in Live View in good sunlight. Using a dichroic filter always means that with certain angles of illumination you might experience some radial discolourations in the false colour, especially when using a wide angle lens. I have not yet tested for this in depth, but the routine shots I made during testing showed almost none.

I liked the results from the StraightEdgeU and have placed a reference in our filter reference: Sticky :: UV/Vis/IR Filters.

[Filter Test] StraightEdgeU OD5-OD6 Wins IR Forcing Shootout!

Excessively long 30-second exposures were made with UV-pass + IR-pass filter stacks.

The BaaderU is shown to transmit some IR.

The SEU does not.

For U360-Stacks, choosing the proper thickness of the IR-blocking layer prevents IR leaks.

[Filter Test] Scarecrow Garden Scene: StraightEdgeU versus the Others

How does a complex, medium distance scene look under the new SEU?

How does the SEU work with wideangle lens like the Noflexar 35/3.5?

[Filter Test] SEU, BU, U360-Stack and The Standards

The classic, boring CC Passport and Labsphere reflective standards shots.

[Filter Test] Raw Colour Differences in 6 UV-Pass Filters

The filters can be divided into either an "Orange" bin "Magenta" bin

accordingly as the primary raw recording channels are either R+G or R+B.

[Filter Test] Two Different Conversions per Filter for BU, SEU, U360-Stack

Intended to illustrate that different UV false colour outcomes are possible during conversion and editing.

[Filter Test] The Evil Clown of Middletown as seen by BU & SEU

I always wanted to shoot this Clown in UV. But he turned out to be boring!