UltravioletPhotography

Lamiastrum galeobdolon [Yellow Archangel]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2013. Lamiastrum galeobdolon (L.) Ehrend. & Polatschek (Lamiaceae). Yellow Archangel. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light, including fluorescence.

Lamiastrum galeobdolon (L.) Ehrend. & Polatschek

Syn. Galeobdolon luteum Huds., Lamium galeobdolon (L.) L.

NO: Gulltvetann, gulltvitann

SE: Gulplister, guldplister, gulsuga

DK: Guldnælde

FI: Keltapeippi

DE: Goldnessel

EN: Yellow Archangel

A creeping perennial plant native to Europe, L. galeobdon has inflorescenses with showy yellow flowers and variegated foliage. It is used as an ornamental plant and occurrences towards the north of its distribution area probably are garden escapes. It is tolerant of shady conditions and occurs as a mat-forming understorey plant in rich decidious forests. Flowering takes place in late spring or early summer. Seeds are dispersed by ants (myrmechori).

Plants collected and photographed near Oslo, Norway 21 May 2011.

LAMI_GAL_I11052101970_VIS.jpg

Image reference: LAMI_GAL_I11052101970_VIS.jpg

Visible light: Nikon D200, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader UV/IR Cut filter, Broncolor Minicom studio flash, focus stacking (10 frames in Zerene Stacker)

LAMI_GAL_I11052134690_UV.jpg

Image reference: LAMI_GAL_I11052134690_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light: Nikon D40X, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader U 2"(Venus) filter, Broncolor Minicom studio flash, focus stacking (10 frames in Zerene Stacker)

The UV appareance of L. galeobdolon mimics its visible counterpart. Anthers are very UV-dark, so are the upper part of the style and the calyx. The corolla is very bright in UV so as to make the flowers stand out from the surrounding UV-dark foliage.

LAMI_GAL_I1105220218_UVIFL.jpg

Image reference: LAMI_GAL_I1105220218_UVIFL.jpg

Ultraviolet induced visible fluorescence: Nikon D200, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader UV/IR Cut filter, Nichia UV LED torch (narrowband peak at 365 nm)

This species exhibit a beautiful fluorescence when illuminated by UV light. The anthers shine bright blueish white and there are very brightly fluoresceing tips of the lower corolla lip as well. The reddish areas indicate fluorescence by chlorophyll.

[Published 18 Apr 2013]

• 1 month later...

I was just preparing a post about L. galeoptodon when I found your post. The focus-stacked images look really great!

However, what is also interesting is that the plants in my area (Germany between Heidelberg and Frankfurt) have a clearly a different UV-pattern. You have found a pattern that is similar to the visual appearance and in the case of the plants that I have photographed, the lip is entirely dark, unlike the visual appearance. So it might be worth posting them separately in a formal way … (?)

I've recorded a couple of flowers and the appearance was always simmilar.

visual image

post-14-0-80002500-1369592209.jpg

image reference: NCH_P1080700130524

UV image

post-14-0-41087000-1369592212.jpg

imagae reference: NCH_P1080737130524

I think it is better to post your photos in a different article and make a cross-reference.

There are several taxa described for L. galeobdolon at the subspecies level. I would not be surprised if there are differences to be found in their UV signatures.