UltravioletPhotography

How to Tag a Topic

Andrea B.

Updated 22 Mar 2021: Added Emulation tag. And some tag name alternations.

LIST of SEARCH TAGS

UVP has a set of predefined search tags which can be added to the first post in a topic. The tags appear under the topic title. When clicked on, these tags bring up a list of other similarly tagged topics. This makes for an easy search on the tag subjects.

The current tags are broadly defined, but very useful. They were chosen because there were a significant number of topics fitting each tag.

• Conical Cells -- a popular botanical sub-category
  • Emulation -- use for digital emulations of UV/IR film processes such as Aerochrome, collodion, etc.
  • Filters -- use for any kind of filters
  • Fluoresence -- use for any kind of luminescence however induced
  • Infrared
  • Insect Vision -- perhaps should be 'animal vision'?
  • LWIR -- use for thermal Infrared images
  • Multispectral -- use for uv/vis/ir stacks, dual bandpass results, etc.
  • Processing -- anything to do with image file conversion or edits
  • SWIR -- use for shortwave Infrared images
  • Camera
  • Film -- the old-fashioned stuff, not videos
  • Lens
  • Lighting
  • Portrait
  • Video
  • White Balance

NEW TAGS?

I am open to defining new tags if there are a significant number of topics which could use them. If a new tag is defined, one of the time-consuming chores is attempting to retrofit old topics. I'll usually try to go back at least a year on retrofitting.

HOW TO TAG

Tagging a topic requires that you be in the Full Editor.

When you start a new topic, you are automatically placed into .

Start New Topic > Topic Tags > Add a tag

If you have written a topic and later realize it needs a tag, you can do that via the topic Edit button.

Edit > Use Full Editor > Topic Tags > Add a tag

When you click Add a tag, a scrolling, drop-down list of tags appear. Up to 6 tags may be added to a topic.

Screen shot: Add a tag.

add_a_tag.jpg

Screen shot: Scrolling tag list pops up when you click on "Add a tag".

dropdown_tag2.jpg

• 4 years later...
21 Mar 2021: Updates for Emulation tag and renaming of some tags.

Is there any way to make the drop-down window for selecting the tags showing more than four alternatives at the time?

When scrolling for the correct tag I always overshoot and have to fiddle to get back to the tag that quickly passed when searching for the right one.

Modern screens have space for showing many more lines at the same time.

That would give a better overview of the available tags too.

Ulf, I wish there was such a way. But unfortunately I cannot edit that part of the forum software.

I was able to fix the Tags dropdown menu.

Well, that was just an idea if you had such settings available.

Your deleting of UV in several tag names solved most of my problem as I currently find the Lens tag directly.

I have many lens topics to file in the future. :smile:

The limiting of dropdown window height is a stupid habit getting more and more frequent.

Web- and program interface designers should be forced to study functional ergonomics more.

And then I did eventually find where I could enlarge the Tags dropdown list !! It was in the CSS for the forum templates. I can edit most of our CSS. So the Tags list should now be more visible and added an enhancement to the selection. Try it and let me know if it is better.